Gibson Brands Forums

flat lower e string help

fordnut02

How old are your strings? The 1st string is usually the first one to become a problem when it's time for a string change. It is for me anyway, it will not intonate correctly and will sound in tune with one open chord and out of tune with another. I just change the whole set when this happens. [smile]

By flat, do you mean that the same note rings at the 18th and 19th fret? Or do you get clear tones, but slightly flat in pitch when checked with a tuner? By the way, I am assuming you mean the low e string, the thickest one on the guitar.

If you are getting the same note at both frets, as if you were fretting the same note, that means that either the frets are not quite level at that point or that your action is a little too low. Try raising the bridge up a quarter to a half revolution of the adjusting wheel and see if that cures it. If not, you might want to take it to a tech to get their opinion regarding a possible fret leveling job, or maybe just one or two frets need a touch up with a crowning file or sand paper.

If you have new strings and the intonation is correct, and you get a slightly flat or sharp pitch to the notes that far down the fretboard, remember that the intonation is set at the 12th fret. A flat pitch could indicate a slightly misplaced fret - the closer they are together, as they are down the neck, a misplacement of only a few thousands of an inch can make a difference.

By flat, do you mean that the same note rings at the 18th and 19th fret? Or do you get clear tones, but slightly flat in pitch when checked with a tuner? By the way, I am assuming you mean the low e string, the thickest one on the guitar.

If you are getting the same note at both frets, as if you were fretting the same note, that means that either the frets are not quite level at that point or that your action is a little too low. Try raising the bridge up a quarter to a half revolution of the adjusting wheel and see if that cures it. If not, you might want to take it to a tech to get their opinion regarding a possible fret leveling job, or maybe just one or two frets need a touch up with a crowning file or sand paper.

If you have new strings and the intonation is correct, and you get a slightly flat or sharp pitch to the notes that far down the fretboard, remember that the intonation is set at the 12th fret. A flat pitch could indicate a slightly misplaced fret - the closer they are together, as they are down the neck, a misplacement of only a few thousands of an inch can make a difference.

It is the lower e string ,bottom small string when using the 18 19 fret the sound is flat like it is touching something ? tryed raising bridge , then it moves the flat spot up to the 14 15 fret ,

Sounds to me that you need a proper set up, starting with adjusting the truss rod. I would guess you need a little more neck relief. After that is done, then set the string height at the bridge and the intonation.

If you are not familiar with how to make these adjustments yourself, find someone who can teach you or take it to a tech. If you are only buzzing on a couple of frets on the high E string (the thinnest one farthest away as you look down), your set up is not too far off.

If you feel adventurous and you have the correct truss rod wrench, take the truss rod cover off, get a sharpie and put a dot on the truss rod nut so you can go back to where you started from if you need to, and turn the nut clockwise 1/8 of a turn. Tune up and check for buzzing. If this works, you are good to go. If not, go back to where you started and try an 1/8 turn in the other direction (counter-clockwise). By your description, you are pretty close already. If none of this works, put the nut back where you started and take it a tech. What I described is a simple tweak, and there is a lot more to a proper set up than this, requiring at the very least tools like a straight edge and feeler gauges.

Necks shift with the seasons, relative humidity, and just by playing after a few months or so. This is part of a regular once or twice a year maintenance. Also, whenever you make a truss rod adjustment, the neck will need a day or so to settle in, so check again.

One word of caution: I have seen guitars come out of the box with the truss rod nut very loose. Not even close to tension, so if this is the case with your guitar, you may need more than a turn or so to begin to tension the rod. If this is so, you may want the initial set up done by someone with experience, at least the first time, as you won't know from experience what the neutral tension feels like.

Years ago, I learned to do this on a crappy guitar I could experiment on without worry. You may want to do the same. It's worth learning. Get a book, find a website, talk to a good tech. You can get a lot of information here, but it usually is in bits and pieces scattered in dozens of posts. You want it all in one piece to study it thoroughly.

I hope this helps.

get a sharpie and put a dot on the truss rod nut so you can go back to where you started from if you need to, and turn the nut clockwise 1/8 of a turn. Tune up and check for buzzing. If this works, you are good to go. If not, go back to where you started and try an 1/8 turn in the other direction (counter-clockwise).

If the neck needs more relief, as it seems in this case, then the truss-rod should be adjusted ccw.

You can get a lot of information here, but it usually is in bits and pieces scattered in dozens of posts. You want it all in one piece to study it thoroughly.

Much of the info on how to repair and modify your guitar is contained in one place, member animalfarm has compiled a DIY thread which is pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

DIY Thread

If the neck needs more relief, as it seems in this case, then the truss-rod should be adjusted ccw.

Much of the info on how to repair and modify your guitar is contained in one place, member animalfarm has compiled a DIY thread which is pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

DIY Thread

Awesome! Thanks for the correction. You are right, of course.

Incredible DIY thread! God I love this place. And now I have a few lost weekends reading all that to look forward to.

Archived