Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special Pick-Ups

JMJS

Hey all,

I have an Epiphone SG Special from many years ago that I don't play any more due to having other instruments, but I am a fan of the wood style paint on the body, and I want to start using it again. I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade the pick-ups. I want a brighter sounding guitar to compliment my Les Paul with its richer heavier tones. I'm aiming for almost a tele sound, or something similar, but I have no idea where to start.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

If you're looking for Tele tones from a humbucker sized pickup then P-90s are probably your best bet, GFS make Dream 90 and Mean 90 pickups and they can be had for about $30 - $40. Further up in price Seymour Duncan and Gibson also have offerings, the Gibson one is called a P-94.

Think of P-90s as a beefier version of Fender style single coil pickups.

Excellent. I'll have to swing down by my local shop tomorrow when it is open. Thanks for the suggestions!

GFS can only be bought online, and you'll find most the others are cheaper that way too. But while in the shop ask if they have any P-90 equipped guitars and try them out.

P-90s come in several different sizes and styles, soapbars, dogears and humbucker sized ones being the most common. They will all pretty much have the same characteristics though.

EDIT: how remiss of me, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

EDIT: how remiss of me, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

Haha thanks. To be honest I am disappointed it took me this long to join. I'm a music and computer geek, I should have been here years ago.

Another possibility would be to put a four-conductor humbucker in there and add a switch so you can operate it in single coil or humbucker mode. I did this with a GFS Liverpool Retrotron and it sounds pretty darn twangy in single coil mode. Even in humbucking mode the Retrotron will be brighter than an Gibson style humbucker.

For an even wider range of tones you can use a 3-way switch to get single coil, series humbucking, and parallel humbucking modes.

Welcome to the forum!

Archived