Gibson Brands Forums

Thinline Zephyr case?

gmane

Hi folks, glad to find this place. I'm sure it's bad form to ask a question with your first post, but I've done a search with no real luck, so here we go: I have a late '50s-60s thinline Zephyr. The lower bout is 17 3/8", and I'm having a little trouble finding a case. Does anyone have a suggestion? Many thanks!

A case that fits a Gretsch Country Gentleman might work, or one that fits a Gretsch Country Club, or White Falcon, although those are deeper than a thinline. Or a case that fits a Gibson Country Gentleman/Country Classic (or the Epiphone Elitist version). All of those have 17" wide lower bouts, so your thinline Zephyr might fit snugly.

Now that's a cool guitar! The Bigsby's not original, and I don't think the knobs are either, but, man, that's cool! John Lee Hooker's playing a blonde one on the cover of his '60's album "Live At The Cafe Au Go-Go".

Hey, Epiphone--how about reissuing this one?

Thanks for the responses, folks. A 17" case is just a little bit too narrow to cram the guitar into, darnitall. I did see a vintage case for a Zephyr thinline on eBay awhile back, but it was utterly trashed with a $400 starting bid. . . thanks but no thanks. I'll just stick with a bag until something turns up. [smile]

My Zephyr is actually a "mystery mutt," a thinline with a florentine cutaway and a 1953 serial number. A couple of knowledgeable folks have looked it over and the current opinion is that it's a "Saturday Afternoon Special," something that an employee whipped up out of reject/leftover/"requisitioned" parts on a day off. All the hardware and electronics are replacement, as you can see. I've put in a set of Zhangbucker p-90s. Whatever it is, I'm glad it found me; it's very "vibey" and sounds great!

ZephyrwithZhangbuckers.jpg

Archived