Gibson Brands Forums

broken string????

danmayberry

hey Dan! Strings break, that's what they do. You aren't stupid for breaking it. If you are looking to replace all of the strings, you probably want to go with something like the Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. I'm just guessing at what your guitar would have on it from factory. The thing is, if you replace with a lighter or heavier gauge string, it will cause the neck to curve slightly. The truss rod has to be adjusted to compensate. If you are just learning to play, you most likely won't even notice if this happens.

Just go with the Super Slinky's, you won't regret it. If you want to replace just the one string, it is most likely an 11 gauge. Possibly a 13.

hey Dan! Strings break, that's what they do. You aren't stupid for breaking it. If you are looking to replace all of the strings, you probably want to go with something like the Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. I'm just guessing at what your guitar would have on it from factory. The thing is, if you replace with a lighter or heavier gauge string, it will cause the neck to curve slightly. The truss rod has to be adjusted to compensate. If you are just learning to play, you most likely won't even notice if this happens.

Just go with the Super Slinky's, you won't regret it. If you want to replace just the one string, it is most likely an 11 gauge. Possibly a 13.

ive ordered regular slinkys as im guessing they're a medium string have i done the right thing? cheers-dan

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, remember that guitar strings number from the thinnest one--the thinnest string is #1, the thickest one is #6. It goes, #1-high E (even though it's closest to the floor, it's called the high E)--#2-B--#3-G--#4-D--#5-A--#6-low E. High and low on the E strings refers to pitch--the first string tunes to E two octaves higher than the sixth string E. That's if you're playing in standard tuning...

What everyone said above...

Sounds like they might be original strings?

Go to the store and get a set of "10's" for

electric guitar. As was said above, these are

the original guage. A new set will play so much

nicer.

Have them put them on or better yet, show you how.

Or, watch a video on You Tube on how to restring

a guitar.

What everyone said above...

Sounds like they might be original strings?

Go to the store and get a set of "10's" for

electric guitar. As was said above, these are

the original guage. A new set will play so much

nicer.

Have them put them on or better yet, show you how.

Or, watch a video on You Tube on how to restring

a guitar.

well,i had an epic fail with my new strings and broke two by putting them on without slack and winding them up,so ive studied utube and have ordered another three sets, fingers crossed i manage to fit a set without breaking them cheers-dan

I still break an occasional high E string. Sometimes I start

winding and winding and winding, then snap.

It's all part of learning and remembering.

While you wait for your strings, check out some of the

guitar lessons on You Tube. There's one out there for

just about every song.

Archived