Gibson Brands Forums

Important follow-up to 'What is going on here?'

pippy

I've just been sent a couple of e-mails by ebay.

The "1969 Les Paul 'Custom'" some of us have been intrigued by seems to have been ("probably" according to ebay) an attempt to get some e-mail addresses by people responding to the listing.

Don't ask me why - I have no idea - but ebay warned me "...on no account have any more contact with the 'seller' through this auction".

It seems the posting was bogus and not with the knowledge of the ebay member in whose name the auction was placed.

Shame! =D>

Wow... that's pretty wild. The way I read it... someone hijacked this guy's ebay name and password and then did some fishing to get some email addresses from those interested in a Les Paul... wierd. Probably more to the story than they're letting on.

I guess I better check my ebay and what I may be "selling" without my knowledge.

HP

Not trying to make anybody paranoid here, BUT, something as simple as an e-mail address can lead the right person (I mean WRONG person) right to your front door. Law enforcement officials use it all the time. And don't think it's only the "good guys" that have the technology to do this.

Be carefull out here in cyberspace.

+1 Larry, lots of people are way to naive about internet security and assume that when they enter all their info in a web form, it gets sent to an encrypted computer database and no one actually sees it, thus making it un-exploitable. Public networks are especially dangerous, so don't check your e-mail at Starbucks!!

Archived