Gibson Brands Forums

New member say hi! and first question!

chriss182

Hi everyone! I've already had an account on this forum but i somewhat lost it a while ago so its more like a re-introduction for me!

I have already two epi, a g-400 custom and a cherry dot that i both love!And now i'am considering buying a les paul junior!

I have heard some pretty good review on those little beast, but i also read that the tuner weren't that good.

So my question is this: would these (link below) fit in a junior and if not, what would be the best alternative choice in that price range?

Thanks a lot!

My link

I'm not sure if 9mm tuners would be a direct fit ion the current holes. I was under the impression that they were 8mm. Either way, they can be bored out to fit. The real question is; will the plate mounted tuners line up with the current holes...as in - are they drilled in a straight line?

The holes on the SG Junior I just bought were NOT drilled in a straight line, so those plate tuners would not work. The tuner holes on the new SG P90 ARE drilled in a straight line. So, you see, it varies by model. The first thing you want to do is find out if tthe holes are drilled in accordance to a plate mounted tuner set.

I realize that the guitars I'm referencing arent LP's, but its still best to double check

It's my undertstanding that the stock Epiphone tuner bushing holes are 8mm, not 9mm as the posts on the GFS tuners you had the link to. They might work but are not going to be a direct fit... I spent a long time looking for replacement tuners and the closest I could find were tuners with posts that were slightly larger...so a little filing is in order. My other question regarding the tuners you have pictured would be post spacing... someone here can probably help you with that if you're patient.

Welcome back to the forum...

Thank you guys for all the quick replies!

Yes my question was more about the spacing between the post. i guess it would be safer to order individual tuner as opposed to rail mounted ones.

And Versatiles, i've absolutely no worries about the junior being a great guitar! I will try her first before doing any mods!!

The tuners on the SG Junior i recently bought had slack in them right out of the box. They were terrible.

Also, check the string positions on the back of the wraparoud tailpiece. Many of mine were on an angle instead of being straight upwards and actually started grooving the saddle to match. This caused the string spacing to be uneven...and noticably so. This was just a result of the person setting the guitar up not paying attention, But from the time the strings went on to the time it was purchased was enough to start gooving the saddles improperly.

the slacking on those cheap tuner is what i fear the most, thats why im taking advice on changing them before buying the guitar so i can order all at the same time. One of my dot's grover tuner on the G string has that sort of slack and its quite frustrating as it always go out of tune.

Archived