Gibson Brands Forums

3 Questions about guitar cases?

roadhog96

Why do the Memphis ES-335 Dot come with a case that says Gibson Custom if it's not a Custom guitar? Why do some cases such as the 335 Dot case come with the shroud and some don't? And lastly, is there any other purpose or funtion of the shroud other than to cover the guitar? I had read that it helps prevent a reaction between the lining and the nickel plated parts, True or False?

Why do the Memphis ES-335 Dot come with a case that says Gibson Custom if it's not a Custom guitar? Why do some cases such as the 335 Dot case come with the shroud and some don't? And lastly' date=' is there any other purpose or funtion of the shroud other than to cover the guitar? I had read that it helps prevent a reaction between the lining and the nickel plated parts, True or False?[/quote']

Roadhog:

I don't know anything about the other issues concerning the case, but I do know that if you go to the Gibson micro-site--link here--for Electric Spanish guitars, it seems to say that all the ES models are Custom shop models. It just depends if they are made in Nashville or at the Custom Shop in Memphis. What's funny about that to me is that it sounds there like all the ES models are made in the Memphis Custom Shop, but that appears to disagree with other information from Gibson that has appeared in other threads.

It also is very confusing to me because I am not sure how every single ES can be a Custom Shop product. According to the ES micro-site, not only are the Re-Issues from the Custom Shop, but even the ES-339, the basic ES-335, and the satin 335 are all from the Custom Shop as well. If that is the case, then the satin 335 really is a major bargain. Both Wildwood and Sweetwater state the satin finish 335 is a Custom Shop guitar, and Sweetwater's description says it comes with a Custom Shop case. That might take some people here by surprise if true.

Ignatius

Memphis IS considered part of the Custom Shop. the 2 divisions were joined under the same umbrella several years ago. so, technically every instrument produced in Memphis is a Custom Shop guitar. at this time, the only ES guitars done in Nashville are the Historic '59 and '63 335, and the very occasional ES-355.

I don't believe there's any true rhyme or reason about the shrouds...some cases have them and some don't. And i've never heard of them having a specific funtion, but i guess that's possible.

Memphis IS considered part of the Custom Shop. the 2 divisions were joined under the same umbrella several years ago. so' date=' technically every instrument produced in Memphis is a Custom Shop guitar. at this time, the only ES guitars done in Nashville are the Historic '59 and '63 335, and the very occasional ES-355.[/quote']

Thanks, Admin, for the clarification. It's pretty great to know that all the ES guitars come from the Custom Shop, and it is also cool for me because I am planning to tour the Memphis plant this summer while my wife is on some business in the city. It will be great to see the "birthplace" of the guitar I hope to own someday.

Ignatius

Archived