Gibson Brands Forums

anyone ever played an electric 12 string as a 6 string?

jonny_2_owls

Hi all,

Has anyone out there had any experience of playing an electric 12 string as a 6 string? I'm guessing it's possible but does it feel strange bvecause the srings will be slightly offset.. And would it cause damage to the guitar only having 6 out of the intended 12 strings?

I read somewhere that the sound can be better due to the thicker 12 string neck...not sure though.

Any knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

Has anyone out there had any experience of playing an electric 12 string as a 6 string? I'm guessing it's possible but does it feel strange bvecause the srings will be slightly offset.. And would it cause damage to the guitar only having 6 out of the intended 12 strings?

I read somewhere that the sound can be better due to the thicker 12 string neck...not sure though.

Any knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated!

At least on my 1968 ES 335-12, the six string and 12 string necks are identical except for the headstock (and the nut, of course). It was actually strung as a six when I bought it, but of course the string spacing is wrong as a six. There's no structural risk associated with using it as a six, but depending on how your guitar is set up, a tweak of the truss rod might be required to offset the lower string tension if the neck is set up for the tension of 12 strings.

Archived