Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flying V ID help needed

Ever

Hi!

Can anybody help me to identify my Gibson Flying V? I think that the original paint has been removed and new lacquer has been added. So I can't find a serial number.

What could be the exact model, the date of manufacture and the approximate value of this beauty?

Thank you!

Ever

• 3 weeks later...

hey all..... after checking your pics.... I see a few things off..... the wood grain doesn't look like mahogany...more like swamp ash or alder that has been stained and wiped. The truss rod cover looks like an offshore version. No stampings on the headstock.... Have you ever dated the control pots? Do the pickups have any Gibson stampings or ink numbers?? Is the wiring Gibson quality?? The case is 70's era, but we need more detailed pics of the inside of pickup cavities, routing under the pick guard, what the top of the truss rod looks like... etc. She sure is a looker....

hey all..... after checking your pics.... I see a few things off..... the wood grain doesn't look like mahogany...more like swamp ash or alder that has been stained and wiped.

I agree. Doesn't look like rosewood or an exotic wood to me.

Have you ever dated the control pots? Do the pickups have any Gibson stampings or ink numbers?? Is the wiring Gibson quality??

I'll try to remove the pots and pickups for examining and taking pictures.

Who's signatures are on the back of the guitar?

The members of Def Leppard signed the guitar.

is it Heavy?

It is the lightest guitar I've ever played.

Archived