Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning Gold Hardware

woody.Prm

Hi Guys

i owned a Ltd. Epiphone ES-355 which is Gold Hardware

i'm just see that there is some little tiny rust stain dot on my Grover Tuner and on Bigsby tremolo

anyone could tell me how to get rid of it , and not damaging the Gold Hardware ?

Thanks

This happens a lot on thin cosmetic gold plated items

IMO you are stuck with it...it originates in the substrate ferrous metal

Any attempts to abrade or chemically remove will quickly destroy much of the gold...

V

:-({|=

LOL yeah i think i'm kind of stuck with it

Thank for your advice . i think i will clean my guitar after use normally.

The gold plating is very thin also, it will wear off pretty quickly anyway, and there's not much you can do about it except not touch it, which is highly impractical given that it's on the tuners and bridge, both of which get touched quite a lot under normal circumstances.

The remedy will cost you under $4. Get a jeweler's polishing cloth at Walmart. LIGHTLY and BY HAND polish the plated hardware with the cloth...it it impregnated with a very fine abrasive that will remove a slight bit of the top layer of the plated object. If you use it lightly, you won't lose enough of the plating to make any difference, but you will remove discolorations and buff up the overall finish of any plated piece. DO NOT EVER use a polishing machine of any sort or a Dremel or other machine...Usually a few light passes with the cloth will work to at least reduce any discoloration on plated metals.

I have used these cloths to polish gold, plated gold, including older guitars, and even clouded stainless steel guns. It works well, costs little,lasts for years.

mark

Porbably half of my guitars have gold hardware, but I don't have a tarnish problem. Everytime I'm done playing them I wipe down the bridge, stop bar, and PU's with a cloth or my shirt tail. On all of my guitars, I use another cloth with guitar polish to clean the wood finishes on the body and back of the neck.

But, some people sweat a lot, and/or have a different skin chemistry and it can be hard on the hardware, even the strings.

Archived