Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Graduation present

Moby

This is my Dad's high school graduation present. He finished High Scool in 1953.

6748374013_86c02040d7_z.jpg

The guitar is actually a 1951 model. Not sure if it was NOS when my Dad got it or if it was used. It's an ES125 with an FON# 8761. There's more to the FON but the remainder is no longer legible. He also got a Supro Spectator amp with it but the amp was lost years ago.

I learned to play on this guitar with the old Supro amp as a teenager in the 70's. It still plays perfectly and has a very distinct sound when amplified.

The tuners, tail piece, and knobs are not original.

ES125's are fairly inexpensive compared to some vintage guitars but I couldn't sell this one for 10 times it's value.

Cheers,

Not the original tailpiece, but still a very cool ES-125. How does it sound & play?

It plays very well. The setup is excellent and the small frets work well on this guitar. The sound is distinct because there is a hint of the unplugged sound when playing through an amp. It gives it a subtle aggressive tone even when playing clean. The P90 also doesn't seem to hum as bad as a typical single coil but that might be because it's not as bright as a typical single coil. That leads to the only downside - it's really not possible to get a bright 'bite' out of this guitar. It is awesome for rhythm playing.

Appreciate the compliments.

When my Dad was around I teased him for getting the es125 instead of the es175. He says if he would've known how collectible es175s were going to become he would've bought two or three.

He also said that if his grades had been better he could've gotten a Les Paul (I'm sure he was kidding about that).

He traded it in the 60s for a fender (don't know which model or year) but the guy came back the next day and wanted his fender back so my Dad traded back.

Archived