Gibson Brands Forums

Unwanted Guitar Vibrations

deks

Can anyone offer an advice how to test if the wire holding the bridge saddles on my epi lp standard is causing my guitar to vibrate? What should I do? Should I remove the wire or fix it somehow tight against the bridge?

Thanks!!

Turn your Marshall Stacks down from 11 to 4............This should help.......:rolleyes: :unsure: [crying][blink] ......

Welcome to the forum............I'll let others explain your problem with full solutions..............[smile] .........

Welcome to the forums, it's a great place with great people, I hope you enjoy it.

There a few solutions, using a small flat bladed screwdriver, push and bend the wire down slightly between the screws, this will put more tension on it, just make sure you put a thick cloth over the guitar's top in that area to prevent damage if you slip, better and safer still, do it next time you change the stings, that way you can remove the bridge and do it away from the guitar.

Another solution is to get some clear nail polish and put a small (and I mean small) dab in a few places along the springs length.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome!

I will try this and get back with results!

Welcome to the forums, it's a great place with great people, I hope you enjoy it.

There a few solutions, using a small flat bladed screwdriver, push and bend the wire down slightly between the screws, this will put more tension on it, just make sure you put a thick cloth over the guitar's top in that area to prevent damage if you slip, better and safer still, do it next time you change the stings, that way you can remove the bridge and do it away from the guitar.

Another solution is to get some clear nail polish and put a small (and I mean small) dab in a few places along the springs length.

Hope this helps.

The space for the wire to sit in is created by a loose fit between the head of the saddle adjustment screw and the bridge body. If you back out the screw and then turn back the other way, there is a gap of a few mils. Once you have the intonation set, if working the screw back and forth leaves a gap for the wire to rattle in, push the head of the screw toward the wire and the bridge to close that gap, without turning the screw, so that there is solid contact between the head of the screw, the wire, and the saddle.

Working the screw in and out while looking carefully through an eye loop will give you a better understanding of what is going on. Once you figure out how to get rid of this gap by pushing the head of the screw into the wire, rattle problems will disappear. The backlash gap is necessary for the proper functioning of the tension wire. If the gap was engineered out, chances are that the wire will bind in the screw head slot and make moving the saddle very difficult, and or grab the wire and kink it so it becomes unusable.

This problem is not exclusive to the wire method bridges. It also occurs with the bridges using the c- or e- rings. It is just more likely to produce a noticeable buzz with a wire bridge. I've noticed this buzzing with the c-rings on t-o-m's also.

Archived