Gibson Brands Forums

Under the saddle pups with Gibson AJ

thejtl

Hey all,

As detailed in another thread, I just bought a new AJ. I need to get a pick put in it ASAP and I'm shopping around. I really love what I'm hearing from the LR Baggs Anthem. I gig but record more than that these days and the Anthem sounds pretty amazing recorded in the demos I've heard.

But I'm wondering, because of the open sides bridge saddle configuration on the AJ, can I even can I even put a UST saddle on the thing? Anyone with knowledge/experience?

Here's a pic of my bridge:

6760947365_8a9fac51f4_m.jpg

Gibson Advanced Jumbo by thejtl, on Flickr

I suppose an under saddle could be installed but it's a tricky proposition. The saddle would have to be notched or the saddle slot routed.....but how much? There's the rub.

For serious live duty I'd highly recommend a sound hole pickup for feedback resistance in a variety of situations. They may not have the tonal quality of other pickup types but for live work they are tough to beat if you're playing in a lot of different venues with a lot of different sound systems.

EDIT: The K&K Pure Western Mini is a great SBT pickup that has a superior acoustic tone and is as feedback resistant as any pickup of it's type. Combined with a soundhole feedback buster they work quite well. An amplified bass guitar on stage can be trouble, though, as this drives the body of an acoustic pretty hard at loud volumes. You'll have to assess your playing situation(s).......

Archived