Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 ID tags

sheraton

Can anyone help to identify the model from tag?

The #1 or first digit in the sequence indicates it was the 1st carved top of the day's run.

061 indicates the 61st day of the year.

'0' or 5th digit indicates the year 2000.

Sorry, but I don't remember what the last 3 digits '727' represent.

This having been said, we know it is a ES-335 AND it is a Memphis build (since the Memphis plant began 335 production in 2000). Which ES-335???? I can't help ya on that one ... someone will.

My name is not Mitt Romney and I stand behind this statement [biggrin]

sorry but Bluezguy is completely incorrect. The serial 10610727 is read the following way: ydddynnn yy = year (2010) ddd = day headstock was stamped (61st) nnn = daily production number up to that point that day after 700 (27th). The model is an ES 335 DOT figured.

The #1 or first digit in the sequence indicates it was the 1st carved top of the day's run.

061 indicates the 61st day of the year.

'0' or 5th digit indicates the year 2000.

Sorry, but I don't remember what the last 3 digits '727' represent.

This having been said, we know it is a ES-335 AND it is a Memphis build (since the Memphis plant began 335 production in 2000). Which ES-335???? I can't help ya on that one ... someone will.

My name is not Mitt Romney and I stand behind this statement [biggrin]

Thank you!

sorry but Bluezguy is completely incorrect. The serial 10610727 is read the following way: ydddynnn yy = year (2010) ddd = day headstock was stamped (61st) nnn = daily production number up to that point that day after 700 (27th). The model is an ES 335 DOT figured.

Thank you. It is "figured", and it is a "dot". Do the digits indicate "figured" or can you see that in the Pix? Made in Memphis?

Thank you. It is "figured", and it is a "dot". Do the digits indicate "figured" or can you see that in the Pix? Made in Memphis?

Since Vincent is a Gibson customer service guy, I suspect he just checked the shipping records. I believe the only ES 335's not made in Memphis when this guitar was made (2010--not sure where bluezguy came up with his serial number analysis)would be either '59 Historics or '63 Historics, which came out of the Nashville shop, and have a totally different serial number system.

This "standard" Gibson eight-digit serial number system has now been used for more than three decades.

Archived