Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary Es-335's

TinyBabyBrandon

So I heard that Gibson has been sending out some 1960 VOS 50th 335's to guitar center to sell as used guitars even though they are actually new. They do not include the COA and are available for a major discount, somewhere between 1999 and $2400 which is a hefty, hefty price reduction. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard about this and if it is true. If it is true what's the reason? I imagine it would have to have something to do with the rosewood fingerboards and Gibson trying to exonerate itself from any back stock that may be incriminating in their pending situation. I ask because I believe that I have happened upon one of these guitars and have put it on layaway, and its a great deal. They guy at Guitar Center didn't seem to know much about it, not surprising, but he also couldn't say if they had bought it from a private seller either. They were not even up on the exact model of the guitar and I had to discern for myself that is was a 50th anniv. 60 model, which it was. It had no serial number stamped into the headstock, the serial number on the label was in line with these models and it was Memphis custom offering with the gold reflector knobs. Anyway, any insight or fun speculation is welcome!

I haven't heard anything about it, but if you find a guitar being sold as "used" by a dealer (no warranty) that doesn't have a mark on it, that might be the case. You might be able to check with Gibson customer service to see if the serial number had ever been registered, which could tell you something.

The real point is "so what"? The only difference between an unmarked year-old used guitar and a similar new guitar is the warranty. Having no warranty probably should knock $400-$600 off the price compared to the same guitar sold with a warranty. I've never bought a brand-new guitar with a warranty, and generally see no reason to do so, provided you inspect it carefully and there is a good return policy that allows you to play it for a few days before committing.

Most QC problems should be found very, very early in the ownership period in any case.

I bought a year-old Nashville '59 Historic ES 335 without a mark on it last year: no evidence of ever having been played. Paid $1000 less than the best price on the same guitar brand new, with warranty. It was a pretty good trade-off, in my book.

I don't know if it's BS or not, I do know however that I'm getting an incredible deal on a 335 VOS and I should be paying it off this weekend and having it shipped to my local GC, it's currently on layaway. When I do get it I should be able to tell if its used or if it is indeed new. Also I will have Gibson run the serial number and let me know if it's ever been purchased. If it comes back negative then I guess we will have confirmation. It's something that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Also I do like that I get 30 days to return the guitar if it's not up to snuff. More to come friends.

Archived