Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Emperor Regent V Godin 5th Avenue Jazz

rubyred

Hi r-r.....

Very nice pics'n specs to peruse...

IMO both guitars are equally beautiful, the Epi a more traditional shape...the Godin an original..

The Epi has the 'beanstalk' decoration up the fingerboard and headstock (same as the Sheraton) so a bit of mix'n match going on there..

Godins are Made in Canada...I have a Kingpin (single P90) which is fun to play and well built

The Godin would be smaller bodied and lighter weight, with tone to match...

A while back I had an Ibanez similar to the Pat Metheny sig archtop...very disappointing...bass heavy P/U...

Depends on one's preference

Another contender is the beautiful 17" Peerless New Yorker...a really nice D'Aquisto inspired guitar...

V

:-({|=

Of those two I would go for the Epi without any doubt. I think it would prove a better tone and the neck strikes me as more playable (for me) because of the size. But then again, I would prefer my Yamaha AE12 to either of them!

I am a little surprised neither site states in the specs if they are made with laminates or have solid wood. That is going to have a big impact on the quality of the acoustic tone.

I wish I had the answer for you, but it is something you might want to check into.

I have never played either, but these two are so different in woods and size I don't think there is a simple answer for one being better.

A lot depends on what you want to use it for.

... here in Oz price of the 2 is pretty comparable at some stores.

Wow, here in Germany they are €499,- for the Emperor against €1799,- for the 5th Avenue. The €1799,- for the Godin are more what you paid here for an Elitist Broadway or Byrdland.

I am a little surprised neither site states in the specs if they are made with laminates or have solid wood. That is going to have a big impact on the quality of the acoustic tone.

I know the Epi Regent is a laminated top (I have one) and I'm 99.9% sure the Godin is too.

If I'm wrong, it would be the first solid curly maple top I've ever seen or heard of.

Most solid carved-top jazz guitars have spruce tops, and cost $5k and up...L-5 CES, etc.

Wow, here in Germany they are €499,- for the Emperor against €1799,- for the 5th Avenue. The €1799,- for the Godin are more what you paid here for an Elitist Broadway or Byrdland.

The Emperor Regent has a RRP of $1699 here in Oz, can usually get it for less, around the 1100-1200 mark. The godin around the $2000-2200 mark but incl case, have seen it cheaper though.

After a bit more research - this seems to take my fancy a little more .

5th Ave Kingpin

Archived