Gibson Brands Forums

AJ vs. J-45 TV

thejtl

This may be too general a statement, but the AJ sounds more like the guitar suited for ragtime/blues/strumming type tunes, while that 45 sounded more suited for nice fingerpicking type cuts i.e., 'Walking Nick" on the J-45 seemed to be the better choice of guitar vs. playing that on the AJ. All IMHO which ain't worth too much at this point [biggrin]

I'm more or less in agreement with your observations (although the J-45 truly sounds wonderful when strummed, I just don't do too much of that with my music). I kind of gravitate towards different guitars for different tunes and that's reflected in the recordings I've posted up.

However, I don't think it should be overlooked that in general the slope-shouldered designs (in this case both the J-45 and the AJ) make for very versatile guitars. I could have switched guitars for those clips and the results would have still been satisfying to my ears. Maybe just not quite as "right" to me, but certainly satisfying just the same.

Guth, what strings are you using on the AJ and the J-45? Your J-45 has a really nice voice.

Thanks.

I'm using D'Addario PB Mediums (.13 - .56) on the J-45.

I'm using John Pearse PB New Mediums (.13 - .55) on the AJ — the first time in many, many years that I've deviated from D'Addarios (which I actually prefer on the AJ.)

Archived