Gibson Brands Forums

What are all the differences between Standard, Standard Plus, Standard Plus Heritage?

EdTheTrooper

Welcome I will try to give it a shot. look at the specs between the two types. Different woods the Maple is more in the Gibson way of building the LP. The Heritage, I believe, is just the cherry finish style on a traditional Gibson LP.

Standard Specs

Bodymahogany NeckHand-set, mahogany Scale24.75” Fingerboardrosewood Fingerboard InlayTrapezoid Nut Width1.68” Neck PickupAlnico humbuckers Bridge PickupAlnico Classic™ humbuckers TailpieceLocking Tune-o-matic™ Stopbar Machine HeadsGrover® Finishebony (EB) Left Handed (EB)

Standard Plus

Bodymahogany, Flame maple Top NeckHand-set, mahogany Scale24.75” Fingerboardrosewood Fingerboard InlayTrapezoid Nut Width1.68” PickupsAlnico Classic Humbuckers TailpieceLocking Tune-o-matic™/Stopbar Colorebony (EB) (Left Handed EB)

Heritage I believe refers to the Cherry finish on the Standard and Standard Plus models.

The sound is different. You actually have a bit of maple cap on one and solid mahagony on the other. This does create a different tone. Play a Standard and a Plus at a store and you will know right away.

The Alnico V pickups just relate to the magnets used in the pickups. The others differ in material used and finish. Ya I know does not seem right but that's what they do. The price of a product in a store is up to the store owner. The VBS top is a classic color finish. Looks good always.

I took a look at the pickup routes in my '09 Epi LP Std when I changed the pickups. It looked like the maple top was only a thin veneer. As if it was an all mahogany body with a "for show" top - even though it's plain. Any body know if that is true?

I took a look at the pickup routes in my '09 Epi LP Std when I changed the pickups. It looked like the maple top was only a thin veneer. As if it was an all mahogany body with a "for show" top - even though it's plain. Any body know if that is true?

Would liked to have seen a photo. Anyone have one a pic.?

Archived