Gibson Brands Forums

T-top humbuckers

Cú Chulainn

Hiya :) I'm fairly new here, but my love for music has been

a lifelong experience :) anyway...

I'm looking into buying Flying V, one of those '68 reissues(or was it '69?) :)

From what I gather, the stock pickups are pretty high-output ceramic ones,

but all the guitarsound I've grown to love, were done by T-tops...

... Schenker, Rhoads (LP) ... So that's what I'm gonna go for :)

What I really wanna ask is, which production model Gibson pickup is the

closest equivalent to the T-tops? :)

Thanks. /R

As long as no-one suggests 490s, I'm fine.........

Used so-called "T-Tops" are overpriced on the used market (IMHO)...........

I suggest Gibby 57 Classics; one 57 and one 57+........Or, take a look at Wolf Macleod's "Wolftone" pickups............

You can always switch out the alnico lls for alnico Vs in the 57s.....Gibby Probuckers have alnico Vs in them....I have some but haven't installed them

in a guitar yet.......Check out "Wolftone" pickups; Tell him you want the exact T-Top sound.....He'll build you them.....For a good price as well................

I don't know if saying "T-TOP" really narrows down the sound. There were variations to the pups that used t-top stamped coils. It mostly defines an era of what one SHOULD find in a guitar of a certain age, rather than a particular sound.

I think one reason for the renewed 'popularity' of the t-tops is both a desire to restore a guitar to stock, and a realization that the stock pups from that time were really not bad pups. It was quite common in the mid 80's to "upgrade" or mod guitars with different pups to refine one's sound. Hotter pups were "in". Now, many are feeling hotter pups are "out" and thus the perception that the stock pups were fairly good makes t-tops something to want to buy and put BACK into a guitar that had them.

Doesn't do you much good, as I thing your pups are stock already.

I rebuilt an early 70's LP once for a friend, and I used a stock Duncan ('59 or Pearly Gates model...don't remember) and in the same guitar as the stock t-top, could NOT tell they were different. But, if really listening hard, the Duncan may have sounded a little clearer and more refined.

I don't know if saying "T-TOP" really narrows down the sound. There were variations to the pups that used t-top stamped coils. It mostly defines an era of what one SHOULD find in a guitar of a certain age, rather than a particular sound.

I think one reason for the renewed 'popularity' of the t-tops is both a desire to restore a guitar to stock, and a realization that the stock pups from that time were really not bad pups. It was quite common in the mid 80's to "upgrade" or mod guitars with different pups to refine one's sound. Hotter pups were "in". Now, many are feeling hotter pups are "out" and thus the perception that the stock pups were fairly good makes t-tops something to want to buy and put BACK into a guitar that had them.

Doesn't do you much good, as I thing your pups are stock already.

I rebuilt an early 70's LP once for a friend, and I used a stock Duncan ('59 or Pearly Gates model...don't remember) and in the same guitar as the stock t-top, could NOT tell they were different. But, if really listening hard, the Duncan may have sounded a little clearer and more refined.

I think "T-top" mainly indicates a desire for a low/medium output PU. With the current surplus of amps and pedals at our disposal today, we don't need to rely on hi gain pickups to slam the amps anymore. There is an increasing number of players that have become aware a lower output pickup will retain some clarity and definition to the signal. You can always add dirt, but it's hard if not impossible to clean up the signal if it is allready "driving" at the source.

The V probably has a 496R/500T set with ceramics. Which is as far removed from Schenker/Rhoads as is possible in PU terms.

I love Seymour Duncans, but IMO they don't make anything resembling a T-top in their PU line up. Which is amazing in itself, but there you go... :)

Archived