Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between reissue and tribute?

Vega1

I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar question, sorry if this is a repost.

Reading through the threads here I see the terms 'tribute' and 're-issue' used commonly, and not always with pictures. These are different things correct?

For example I own a 2010 '61 re-issue SG, this is not the same as what I see referenced here as a 60's tribute... is it? [confused]

Edited to add: And my Les Paul Studio Deluxe 50's? Tribute right?

Thanks

Thanks, for some strange reason the Spanish version of Gibson.com keeps coming up no matter how many times I choose English, English/India comes up fine, no matter hjow many times I pick English it comes up in Spanish. [cursing] I cant read Spanish, so I guess I'll have to wait until I figure out why that keeps happening.

Anyway... I'll go check it out. But my assumption is that any guitar modeled after a specific year is a 're-issue" (i.e the '61 re-issue SG) while any guitar with the characteristics of a previous model (i.e. my LP Studio Deluxe 50's) is a tribute... correct?

Broadly speaking, you could say that. "Re-Issues" in the strictest sense,

are identical versions, of whichever guitar/year, they're originals were.

Tributes, may have enough features, to remind one, of "model's past!" But,

not necessarily all features, or spec's, of the original models.

One example:

My '50's Tribute LP (Gold Top) Studio, "reminds" one, of a 56 Gold Top Les Paul...

it has 2 P-90's, a stop bar tail-piece, and tune-o-matic bridge (Nashville, not

ABR-1), and the Gold Top finish, but without the gloss clear-coat. It also

doesn't have the body and neck binding, or MOP "Gibson" logo, in the head-

stock. So, it "resembles" the 1956 Les Paul Gold Top, but...The R-6 (CS Reissue '56)

is an exact replica, of the original 1956 Les Paul. Gloss "Gold Top," binding,

and all other appropriate spec's, to the original.

CB

Archived