Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Flamekat

Mudbonewilly

Can anyone out there help me out with deciphering the serial number of my guitar? I have a Flamekat with serial number X960035381. It also has a Epiphone trem elo that's a licensed Bigsby. Don't really know much else. I changed out the bridge to a roller style so it stays in tune a lot better and changed the dice for regular knobs. Looks better and it easier to operate, other than that I love the way it plays.

I have an Epi Lucille with an X serial number --- so far your FlameKat is the only other one I've heard of. FlameKats were in production from 1999 to 2005, so the numeric part of the serial is mysterious. It has more digits than the typical Epi serial number, so none of the usual year-month-production number codes make sense.

The licensed Bigsby would point to a later build, as the first few years of 'Kats used the Epiphone Vibratone. Most of the 'Kats I've seen were made in the Samick or Saein factories, when they were making all three --- WildKat, AlleyKat and FlameKat. I don't believe Qingdao has made any besides the WildKat. I'm not sure what year they switched from the Vibratone to the Bigsby, but my 2001 WildKat has a Vibratone, so I would guess yours was made between 2002 and 2005 in either the Samick or Saein factories. Sometimes the shape of the f-holes can be a clue to the factory of origin, but not always.

I'll be curious to see if anyone has any further information, too.

The licensed Bigsby would point to a later build, as the first few years of 'Kats used the Epiphone Vibratone. Most of the 'Kats I've seen were made in the Samick or Saein factories, when they were making all three --- WildKat, AlleyKat and FlameKat. I don't believe Qingdao has made any besides the WildKat. I'm not sure what year they switched from the Vibratone to the Bigsby, but my 2001 WildKat has a Vibratone, so I would guess yours was made between 2002 and 2005 in either the Samick or Saein factories. Sometimes the shape of the f-holes can be a clue to the factory of origin, but not always.

I'll be curious to see if anyone has any further information, too.

My WildKat is, I believe, an '07 model with the Epi-variant vibrato.

IMG_1154.jpg

Archived