Gibson Brands Forums

SG neck widths?

Hymn of Rlyeh

Hi I recently bought a 1979 Gibson SG Standard. Its a great guitar and has one of the fastest necks I've ever felt. It has a very narrow neck width/fret lengths . I've seen many other vintage SGs that seem to have much wider necks. I was wondering if there were any charts or dimensions for neck widths for SGs? I cant seem to find any data on the internet. Im curious if I have a custom built SG/neck, or if the narrow neck was standard on a 1979? Any Advise?

Hi I recently bought a 1979 Gibson SG Standard. Its a great guitar and has one of the fastest necks I've ever felt. It has a very narrow neck width/fret lengths . I've seen many other vintage SGs that seem to have much wider necks. I was wondering if there were any charts or dimensions for neck widths for SGs? I cant seem to find any data on the internet. Im curious if I have a custom built SG/neck, or if the narrow neck was standard on a 1979? Any Advise?

I read somewhere online that gibson has a special machine that makes the profiles on the back of the neck. It just cuts the basic shape into the wood. Then the rest is finished by hand sanding and varies depending on who finishes out the neck. I also have an SG standard I just got recently. I have played other SG's in the past and have noticed thicker necks on them but mine is a 2006 model and has a neck profile very similiar to a 1981 Les Paul custom I once had in which the neck was the 60's profile slim neck. Maybe someone else will shime in and give their 2 cents. Tim

Archived