Gibson Brands Forums

What color/finish is that 335?

canac

Hi Gibson lovers!!

I'm about to purchase my dream of a lifetime guitar, a lefty 335!!. Now i just wanna make sure to get the right color/finish i'm looking for so here's a vid of my favorite guitar player who play the guitar i wanna buy :) Is that Vintage-burst, Triburst, light-burst, dark burst or what ever burst it can be?

Thank you for helping and enjoy your Gibson:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CITLWfcGUyg

Guest EastEnder

Hi Gibson lovers!!

I'm about to purchase my dream of a lifetime guitar, a lefty 335!!. Now i just wanna make sure to get the right color/finish i'm looking for so here's a vid of my favorite guitar player who play the guitar i wanna buy :) Is that Vintage-burst, Triburst, light-burst, dark burst or what ever burst it can be?

I'm not sure your list of 'bursts is available on a 335. I think vintage burst is about the only one on the current models. I could be wrong, though. Which 335 are you considering?

EC's looks like an old, faded tri-burst, but YouTube is not exactly color-correct, so it might be a cherry burst. Certainly looks like it's leaning to red.

Congratulations on your decision.

EDIT: Of course, I'm wrong (again). Seems that Musician's Friend (for example) has all sorts of 'bursts, while the Gibson site doesn't. There must be some devilry afoot.

Hi Gibson lovers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CITLWfcGUyg

I almost didn't recognize him without a Strat![mellow] I feel certain he's playing a

vintage 335 and the color would be faded. Matching that particular burst is

going to be a challenge.

I'm not sure your list of 'bursts is available on a 335. I think vintage burst is about the only one on the current models. I could be wrong, though. Which 335 are you considering?

EC's looks like an old, faded tri-burst, but YouTube is not exactly color-correct, so it might be a cherry burst. Certainly looks like it's leaning to red.

Congratulations on your decision.

EDIT: Of course, I'm wrong (again). Seems that Musician's Friend (for example) has all sorts of 'bursts, while the Gibson site doesn't. There must be some devilry afoot.

Thank you!

Well considering the fact that i'm a lefty, Figured top is the only choice i actually have if i buy brand new (At least in the Canadian market)...If only i have bought that 1978 lefty i played with like 20 years ago in New York city...Anyway

I almost didn't recognize him without a Strat![mellow] I feel certain he's playing a

vintage 335 and the color would be faded. Matching that particular burst is

going to be a challenge.

Well, he was pretty well-known for playing a red 335 in those early years, after all!! Perhaps the most famous ES 335 of all time.

I'm thinking that looks like an original late 50's/ early 60's, like only 1960, 335 because of the long pickgaurd. I'd say that was just made a straight sunburst but over the years has faded, like all the old Les Paul bursts, there is a wide variation in color. I'd say you best bet would be a vintage sunburst in a VOS finish. If gloss is the only option, which it may be for a straight 335, you'd probably want to get a honey burst or a tri-burst to match what MIGHT be going on color wise in that video, but if it were me I'd be getting a vintage sunburst (in fact I DID) because that's how they all started out back then anyway.

I'm thinking that looks like an original late 50's/ early 60's, like only 1960, 335 because of the long pickgaurd. I'd say that was just made a straight sunburst but over the years has faded, like all the old Les Paul bursts, there is a wide variation in color. I'd say you best bet would be a vintage sunburst in a VOS finish. If gloss is the only option, which it may be for a straight 335, you'd probably want to get a honey burst or a tri-burst to match what MIGHT be going on color wise in that video, but if it were me I'd be getting a vintage sunburst (in fact I DID) because that's how they all started out back then anyway.

TBB, the long pickguard would have been '58 or '59. This one has a bound fretboard, so all other things being equal, it is likely to be a '59. Knowing Clapton, it's probably real, rather than a modern repro.

Your color advice is spot-on. That year, there only would have been one 'burst color, which was simply called "sunburst", I believe. Over time, these fade in a somewhat unpredictable fashion, but usually the darker portion of the 'burst goes redder/browner due to pigment changes, sometimes making it look like a tri-burst.

As an example, here is a photo of my '68 ES 335-12. There was only sunburst color available in those days as well. Note the fading of the brown/black portion of the 'burst. Next to it is my '59 Historic, in "mythical" cherry. I say "mythical", because cherry was nominally not introduced until 1960, although a few 1959's are rumored to exist.

Some of the custom 'burst colors available today might closely match a faded original '59 burst. If the buyer wants to replicate that '59 look in a modern guitar, I'd just buy a retrofit long-style pickguard and slap it on.

Caveat: sunburst colors can photograph oddly under artificial light. The color in the video might not accurately represent the color, as you point out.

ES335sisters.jpg

Nick,

Right on. I'm with you, we're a couple of cats that know their 335's. I think that 1960 still had the long pickguard though, at least for a portion of the year, because the 50th anny's have the long pickgaurd and make it a point to point out that it's historically correct. Either way, though, I'm sure you're spot on with Claption rocking the real deal. Also holy moley, those are a couple of good looking guitfiddles there, sir! That 68 12'er looks PRISTINE. Beautiful guitars my friend.

Nick,

Right on. I'm with you, we're a couple of cats that know their 335's. I think that 1960 still had the long pickguard though, at least for a portion of the year, because the 50th anny's have the long pickgaurd and make it a point to point out that it's historically correct. Either way, though, I'm sure you're spot on with Claption rocking the real deal. Also holy moley, those are a couple of good looking guitfiddles there, sir! That 68 12'er looks PRISTINE. Beautiful guitars my friend.

Yeah, some 1960's ones have the long guard as well. The 335-12 is pretty sweet. Bought it for doing McGuinn stuff, but just haven't...gotten....around.... to it.

Yeah, some 1960's ones have the long guard as well. The 335-12 is pretty sweet. Bought it for doing McGuinn stuff, but just haven't...gotten....around.... to it.

Mcguin and Byrds stuff is great, but do that guitar a favor and get some Song Remains the Same going on it, or at least a little Rain Song. I'd wager that the Rain Song would sound fantastic on that guitar.

Well, he was pretty well-known for playing a red 335 in those early years, after all!! Perhaps the most famous ES 335 of all time.

Totally agree! i just can't decide if i'll have a cherry one or a sunburst one now lol

Thank you!

Thank you!

Unfortunatly, VOS finish is not available for lefty unless you go Custom shop, so gloss is my "only" option. Honey burst is way too pale so i guess i'll have to choose from triburst or vintage sunburst...i fear triburst to be too reddish :o

As mentioned...an aged finish will have changed in colour

IMO all 335's look fantastic whatever the colour

Personal favourites....Vintage Sunburst, Triburst...

Figured tops look nice

And so do plain tops...

V

:-({|=

Thank you!!

TBB, the long pickguard would have been '58 or '59. This one has a bound fretboard, so all other things being equal, it is likely to be a '59. Knowing Clapton, it's probably real, rather than a modern repro.

Your color advice is spot-on. That year, there only would have been one 'burst color, which was simply called "sunburst", I believe. Over time, these fade in a somewhat unpredictable fashion, but usually the darker portion of the 'burst goes redder/browner due to pigment changes, sometimes making it look like a tri-burst.

As an example, here is a photo of my '68 ES 335-12. There was only sunburst color available in those days as well. Note the fading of the brown/black portion of the 'burst. Next to it is my '59 Historic, in "mythical" cherry. I say "mythical", because cherry was nominally not introduced until 1960, although a few 1959's are rumored to exist.

Some of the custom 'burst colors available today might closely match a faded original '59 burst. If the buyer wants to replicate that '59 look in a modern guitar, I'd just buy a retrofit long-style pickguard and slap it on.

Caveat: sunburst colors can photograph oddly under artificial light. The color in the video might not accurately represent the color, as you point out.

ES335sisters.jpg

First of all....Wow awesome guitars!!

You see, thats exactly what i want if i choose a sunburst finish, i want the darker portion of the burst to go redder/browner like 3 tone red/brown, i fear that the vintage one will be like 2-tone brown, no red...Is there any official place or link for a chart of colors that gibson offers?

Thank you very much, i appreciate you guys taking the time to help me :)

First of all....Wow awesome guitars!!

You see, thats exactly what i want if i choose a sunburst finish, i want the darker portion of the burst to go redder/browner like 3 tone red/brown, i fear that the vintage one will be like 2-tone brown, no red...Is there any official place or link for a chart of colors that gibson offers?

Thank you very much, i appreciate you guys taking the time to help me :)

Not sure where you can find a color chart, but others here might know. The best way to describe what you are after might be called "faded vintage sunburst". Triburst has much more pronounced red, and is probably brighter than what you are after. Generally (but not always) the standard older 'burst color becomes more muted over time. There is a color that I believe is called "amber burst" that is fairly subtle, but is almost too monochromatic, without enough darkness around the edges.

For some reason, I have seen more fading of 'bursts from the 60's than other periods. It is well known that some of the pigments used by Gibson in this period--notably the cherry red pigments--faded in a pronounced and sometimes unpredictable way.

1330546951[/url]' post='1137018']

ES335sisters.jpg

Congrats j45nick really beautiful guitars. I've never seen a 12 string before. Looks great and it's a beautiful sunburst. Btw the 12 string has a tailpiece like the ES330's. I have an ES 335 '59 reissue in natural. I love the necks on the '59's. They are a bit bigger but really comfortable.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was really torn between getting a vintage sunburst or cherry red 335 but got a fantastic deal on my sunburst baby that I couldn't resist it!

The only thing I didn't like about it was the black knobs which I've swapped for gold ones which I think look so much better.

I'm also considering taking the pickguard off as I prefer my LP without any guard and there's a part of me that thinks it's a bit silly to cut f holes into a guitar top and then cover half of one over with the guard - and it also hides some of the beautiful finish.

As for the colour of the EC guitar I'd be guessing that it's an original early model and just faded over the years.

Archived