Gibson Brands Forums

original case ?

mudd_dawg

Hi everyone, so i think its time to sell my 1958 j-50. the question i have is, Is there a way to tell if the case its in is the original ?

i cant find any numbers letters or markings to help me out. If i had to guess id say it was the original my grandfather bought the guitar brand new in 58 and he never got rid of anything i know the case its in has been around since the early 70's from pictures but i know the original case can increase the value of the guitar but i do not want to make a claim i cant be sure is 100% true.

any help would be great

thanks Jim

Hi everyone, so i think its time to sell my 1958 j-50. the question i have is, Is there a way to tell if the case its in is the original ?

i cant find any numbers letters or markings to help me out. If i had to guess id say it was the original my grandfather bought the guitar brand new in 58 and he never got rid of anything i know the case its in has been around since the early 70's from pictures but i know the original case can increase the value of the guitar but i do not want to make a claim i cant be sure is 100% true.

any help would be great

thanks Jim

I'd say the original case for your '58 J-50 would be the brownish "alligator" print soft case.

posted some pics in the acoustic gibson forum sorry didnt mean to cause trouble by posting in two different fourms.new to this site and didnt know it was against the rules

No way for anybody reading this to know that you already posted photos in a separate forum. No trouble caused, no rules broken, but you could post the photos here also. Different people choose to read different forums (I spend almost all of my time here in the Vintage Gibsons forum, for example), so you may get more exposure and more opinions by posting your question (and photos) in more than one place. Now, posting the question twice in the same forum (and it does happen)... that would be frowned upon. :)

Archived