Gibson Brands Forums

I Received My Kalamazoo From Gruhn's Guitars

ajay

I received my 1968 Kalamazoo KG-10 from Gruhn's today. I couldn't be happier with this little all mahogany round shoulder. It looks as if it's barely been played. There are a few scratches in two places, but no finish crazing. It holds tune beautifully, and the intonation is spot on all the way up. I just can't believe that I got this sweet little guitar for $600. Even the original soft case is near perfect, with only a few side scuffs. I think I will be ordering that 1957 birth year J-45 or J-50 from Gruhn's soon. I'm just mightily impressed with their honesty, packing methods. and the trackability of your order from their loading dock on. I love the way that they do their job.

Gruhn's packed it completely, wrappng the soft case in airtight thick mil plastic sheeting, and then surrounding the entire soft case with those gray bags of form shaping foam, and stabilizing the neck and body in the old soft case with bubble wrap. Simply bulletproof. Then, of course UPS got it to me with not even a scratch or dent on the shipping carton. Gruhn's treated this little guitar as if it was a vintage Banner J-45. I wish that I could post pictures, but I haven't figured it out yet, and the iPad is out of town for a week anyway.

I'm going to have Paul Fox change the adjustable saddle over, and go with bone saddle and nut.

All in all, I'm just a happy Gibson lover today. I can't believe the quality that went into this lowly little Kalamazoo in the last year of production in the Kalamazoo factory. Gibson, you have never let me down.

I knew that they would pack it well, but Gruhn's exceeded my expectations by a long shot. Now I have a great box ready for shipping it to Paul.

I've been playing it all afternoon. I'm just amazed at how all six strings sound alive, and the harmonics ring forever. It really sounds every bit as good as my Brother's mint B-25N, and there must have been a solid price differential between the two. The mahogany on the back is even bookmatched with some nice burl patterns. It won't replace my AJ, but it will be a fun little guitar to break out when I don't feel like changing out of my work clothes to pick up the AJ (i really pamper that thing).

I've never picked up a guitar pick since I got my AJ, but it was fun strumming with a pick on the little Kalamazoo. I think it's growing on me already. I've always loved simplicity.

Thanks Paul! I'll send it out in about two weeks if that's all right. I got your book today, and it is a great record of Gibson history. I can't put it down, but I'm going to have to because it's time to break in the new Kalamazoo for a while. I lost your email, so if you could PM it again it would be great. I love this guitar. I think that the bridge, saddle, and nut work will really make it sing. Thanks for your help!

Archived