Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with Flying V controls operation

K-frog

Hey guys, I need a little help with a Flying V i'm working on.

After replacing a front volume pot, and checking all other controls, I have a minor issue:

When the 3 way switch is in the middle position, I can kill all output by turning down either volume. That seems odd to me. Is there something amiss with the wiring, or is that how they are supposed to operate?

not my guitar, so I don't know what's normal. I heard that was normal, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. Even though correct, it just didn't seem right to me.

Is there any difference in tone or output to wire them independent like the 2nd Flying V diagram in Willy's link?

Yes.

Even though some may disagree, I'm here to tell you that all of the basic wiring styles have their own

advantages and disadvantages.

They are not so significant that most amps, pups..etc. won't overcome the outcome. But...

They are there and they are a matter of personal utility! How do you like your controls to work?

How much do you want to bother with and what do you really want to know?

ie: If you go inde it will darken the tone slightly and will break your volumes up into three (fairly usable) ranges.

Low, medium and high.

The crazy thing for inde volume setup is that it will take basically, the same pattern (curve) no matter what the taper of the volume pot. (Totally unlike the Linear vs. Audio Vol Pot situation found in dependent setups.)

The biggest advantage to inde wiring is that you mix your pickups independently in the center position.

Willy

Archived