Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker 1 & 2 Question

bluezguy

I just ordered a Burstbucker 1 from MF.

The page describes it as no wax potting and it is a 2 conductor wire as ALL Burstbuckers are.

I also want the Burstbucker 2.

When you read that description, it says 'no wax potting' BUTTT it is a 4 wire conductor.

What's true??

Not all BB's are 2 conductor and not all are potted.

GC had a special run of 57's and BB's to sell in their stores that were both 4 conductor and potted.

and then there is the LP Pro series, which use BB's with a coil tap.

It just depends where and what you are shopping for.

Yeah, what Marvar says..........Typically BBs are unpotted and two wire........I have a Gibby LP with BBs and they are coil tapped.........

BB 1,2 and 3s have alnico lls (usually unpotted), and the BB Pros are potted and have alnico Vs......

By the way, PUs are much cheaper at "AmplifiedParts."

Thanks guys ... it's just that the item descriptions on the MF site are conflicting. BB1 says they are all 2 wire while the BB2 says it's a 4 wire. I went ahead and ordered the BB2 also because they said they would refund them if they weren't what I expected. That's cool. I won't accept them if they are 4 wire.

Anyways ... on pricing ...

I got both pickups filthy cheap because MF honored price matching when I gave them active web sites who physically had the same pups in stock. They verified it and all is good now ... until I see the wire configuration.

Why am I so nutz about the 2 VS 4 wire config??? The answer is "because I can be" [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

stock BBs are wax potted and 2 conductor wiring. Individually packaged BBs are not waxed potted and 2 conductor wiring. A variety of PAF replica pickups are now available to purchase separately with 4 conductor wiring.

stock BBs are wax potted and 2 conductor wiring. Individually packaged BBs are not waxed potted and 2 conductor wiring. A variety of PAF replica pickups are now available to purchase separately with 4 conductor wiring.

By stock, you are referring to BB PUs factory installed ??

Archived