Gibson Brands Forums

LP 100 fingerboard problems

Tj1212

I recently bought an epiphone LP 100 and I find that there is a kind of grittyness when I do bends on the 12th-22nd frets. I've noticed it isn't the strings causing the problem. Is there a way to eleviate the problem?

Is the problem the frets, a rough fingerboard, or both ?? The fingerboard can be treated with "fret doctor", mineral oil, or,

some use real linseed oil......If it's the frets, they can be smoothed a bit......Not my area of expertise.................................

You'll get some better and more detailed posts to help you...........

Oh, welcome to the forum.................

Is the problem the frets, a rough fingerboard, or both ?? The fingerboard can be treated with "fret doctor", mineral oil, or,

some use real linseed oil......If it's the frets, they can be smoothed a bit......Not my area of expertise.................................

You'll get some better and more detailed posts to help you...........

Oh, welcome to the forum.................

Well it feels like the frets are the problem.

Also, thank you for the welcome.

Well it feels like the frets are the problem.

On the Epi Lounge, check out the DIY pinned thread at the top of the page.....

And, once again, you'll get some great advice soon................

I have found that for the fingerboard, you take a credit card and bend it to the shape of the fingerboard, using it like a scraper. This removes any small grit or finish residue to clean the board. After that use some fine sandpaper, or a fingernail buffer to smooth the top of the frets. Lastly, oil the board with some RAW linseed oil.

Let me be the second to extend a welcome. I'm sure others are going to chip in with their home remedies also.

I have found that for the fingerboard, you take a credit card and bend it to the shape of the fingerboard, using it like a scraper. This removes any small grit or finish residue to clean the board. After that use some fine sandpaper, or a fingernail buffer to smooth the top of the frets. Lastly, oil the board with some RAW linseed oil.

Let me be the second to extend a welcome. I'm sure others are going to chip in with their home remedies also.

Thanks for you help.

Archived