Gibson Brands Forums

World's largest Coyote shot here

bonzoboy

We do what we can, but if growl comes to bite, I get to bite back. And, since I don't have claws or good, sharp teeth, I cheat. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence. Peanut-butter smeared balloons filled with ammonia are a great first strike. If that doesn't do it, it gets lethal. I don't enjoy it any more than I enjoy fixing fence. I'm not a hunter, I don't relish killing. But I don't feel guilty about making my home where I do and dealing with the consequences of doing so. Just another lifestyle.

Peanut butter on an Ammonia balloon... not a bad idea. Just curious, though, how do you get the ammonia into the balloon? Are we talking blowing it up with gaseous, agricultural Anhydrous Ammonia? or household cleaner? I may want to try that on some cats and coons at my place. The NH3 might be a bit severe.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peanut butter on an Ammonia balloon... not a bad idea. Just curious, though, how do you get the ammonia into the balloon? Are we talking blowing it up with gaseous, agricultural Anhydrous Ammonia? or household cleaner? I may want to try that on some cats and coons at my place. The NH3 might be a bit severe.

First time or two was tricky and messy. Best method now is put the household ammonia in a pump-sprayer and gently pump it into the balloon. It's important to tie off the balloon before removing it from the sprayer, using a twist-tie for a temporary stop. If ammonia leaks out it becomes slippery, making it difficult to tie the balloon neck. You want the balloon inflated, so it bursts with some force upon being clawed. Hang it above the head level of the bear, if that's your problem animal. When they get to clawing at the peanut butter they get a faceful of stanky ol' ammonia. If it works, it works really well. And it causes no permanent injury to the critter. It'll work for anything that likes peanut butter and has the moxy to pop the balloon.

Archived