Gibson Brands Forums

Modifiying A Cry Baby

kaleb

So I have a standard, completely stock Dunlop GCB-95 Cry Baby wah. Sounds pretty decent, but I know it could be better. I was considering getting a CAE MC-404 wah (co-designed w/ Bob Bradshaw), which has a choice of either a red or yellow fasel inductor (the red is sorta like the Cantrell wah; very dark and throaty, and the yellow is more like a vintage wah, ie lots of high end and midrange sweep. Kenny Wayne Shepherd said this wah in the yellow mode sounds very close to his original 66-67 Vox Clyde McCoy), and it has a built-in CAE MC-401 boost in it, which is only active when the pedal is engaged (supposed to be like putting a boost/mild overdrive such as a Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 before the wah which is what SRV used to do). And it has an LED and true bypass. But I think it is more logical to mod mine to get the sound I am looking for. Some circuit changes, a new inductor (not sure what kind I want yet), and a buffered switch should do the trick. Oh, and a jewel type LED on the side like on the Fender amps. The Kale Baldwin Cry Baby Special. Might make up my own mod.

Lots of mods you can do to the stock Cry Baby. However, it should have an input and or output buffer already. Do you mean a true bypass switch?

No, it is hardwired bypass, like a vintage (as in pre 80s) pedal. I want a buffer installed, like ones Maxon uses. Like a tone-booster.

Archived