Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa question ......

a7d7e7

Hey folks ....

Does anyone own a Joe Bonamassa Les Paul?

I have read nothing but stunning reviews about it, and have listened to the guitar on Youtube videos.

My question concerns the neck profile. Unfortunately, no stores near me have one in stock for me to try, nor do they have any other guitars with a Bonamassa neck profile.

Currently I own and play a Peavey Predator, the older, American made model that looks and sounds just like a Strat. I think the neck profile on it is a "Modern C" shape.

I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now.

Would it be difficult for me to play a Bonamassa Les Paul? Since it looks like I might have to order and buy online I need advice to make a good decision.

Thanks, folks.

Appreciate any and all advice.

-- Mark

If you like a somewhat beefier neck profile, you'll like the Bonamassa. I know I do! There's a LP Bonamassa GT (Goldtop) at my local Gibson/Epi dealer. It's a spectacular guitar. The neck is on par with the more beefier 1959 Standard and the fretboard has a 12" radius. I find the neck very comfortable to play and it the guitar sounds great. It's also a great bargain as it comes with USA Burstbuckers, a case and some case candy too. Since selling my Gibson LP, I've been, well, Les Paul-Less.[glare] I'm currently considering rounding out my guitars with another LP and this is on my list along with a leftover 1959 Standard in Iced Tea Burst. Just trying to keep the budget intact, of course.If you order it online, just make sure there is a return policy in place so you can return it or exchange it for something else if for some reason you find it isn't for you...

I friend of mine bought one, so I got a chance to play it.

It has, for sure, one of the largest necks I have ever seen. It is a fat neck, for sure.

I would not call it uncomfortable, but it was so large that I had to work harder. There was nothing I couldn't play that I could on any other guitar, but it had the effect of making me feel I had to get up and EARN it-so if I wanted to tear out a smokey lead, I had to get my burn on and put in the effort.

I have big hands and like fat necks as much as thin ones. I judge a neck by how it feels, not by thickness or thin. This one, however, is not for the faint of heart. It's a baseball bat.

I friend of mine bought one, so I got a chance to play it.

It has, for sure, one of the largest necks I have ever seen. It is a fat neck, for sure.

I would not call it uncomfortable, but it was so large that I had to work harder. There was nothing I couldn't play that I could on any other guitar, but it had the effect of making me feel I had to get up and EARN it-so if I wanted to tear out a smokey lead, I had to get my burn on and put in the effort.

I have big hands and like fat necks as much as thin ones. I judge a neck by how it feels, not by thickness or thin. This one, however, is not for the faint of heart. It's a baseball bat.

Damn. I don't think I'd be able to play that. I really appreciate the advice. Damn.

I say go for it..............A LP "baseball" neck may take getting used to, but, you may end up loving it.............

And, as mentioned, it you really really hate it, send it back............

I own the Epi Bonamassa Les Paul and a Gibson Les Paul Traditional. I've had the LP Trad for almost 3 years and just bought the JB in December. My observations:

--The LP Trad neck (compared to a modern C strat neck) is very thick. Others have used the term "baseball bat" neck and I would concur with that. Prior to getting the LP Trad I primarily played strats & teles. It definitely took some time getting used to the thick neck of the Gibson LP. I almost gave up on it, but now that I've played it for awhile it's not that big of a deal.

--The Epi JB neck, in my opinion, feels somewhat smaller than the Gibson LP Trad neck, but still larger than a strat neck. I actually love the feel of the JB neck and bonded with it right away. I should add that I probably have what would be considered medium sized hands.

--The 57 classics in the LP Trad and the pickups in the JB model both sound great, but are different. I'm not good at describing tone, so I can't really describe what that difference is. I will say that the pickups in the JB model sound awesome both clean and dirty. I know sound/tone is subjective, but I'm very impressed with these pickups.

--I didn't buy this guitar to "collect" it, I bought it because it feels and sounds great and intend to play it frequently. The JB LP and my Am Std Tele are currently tied as my #1 guitar. The JB LP has quickly become one of my favorite guitars and my LP Trad has been spending a lot of time in the case.

I say go for it..............A LP "baseball" neck may take getting used to, but, you may end up loving it.............

And, as mentioned, it you really really hate it, send it back............

I echo Damian's thoughts on this. I really don't think the neck on the Epi JB version is as thick as the Gibson. Again, just my opinion. I think you should at least give it a try. I have not been disappointed with mine.

My JBLP is my 2nd 59 ballbat neck and I love it. I have other guitars with slim taper and thin necks and am lucky enough to be one of those people that can jump from one to another without a second thought.

But the 59 neck has more to it than just being thick. Theres alot of warm tone and sustain in those thick mahogony necks. And theres a reason why long tenions do sound different from short tenions.

Id realy like to see Epi offer another guitar just like this only with the awsome Gibson P90's. Dosent have to be a signature model

The obvious answer would be just to go play one and see how it feels. I checked again this morning and no stores nearby have it nor do any have it on order.

My local store said they would special order one, but once it's ordered, it's mine whether I like it or not.

My JBLP is my 2nd 59 ballbat neck and I love it. I have other guitars with slim taper and thin necks and am lucky enough to be one of those people that can jump from one to another without a second thought.

But the 59 neck has more to it than just being thick. Theres alot of warm tone and sustain in those thick mahogony necks. And theres a reason why long tenions do sound different from short tenions.

Id realy like to see Epi offer another guitar just like this only with the awsome Gibson P90's. Dosent have to be a signature model

And the USA Burstbucker in the Bonamassa model are of course superb sounding making the guitar an even better del when you consider those pickups alone are about $230 for the pair.

And the USA Burstbucker in the Bonamassa model are of course superb sounding making the guitar an even better del when you consider those pickups alone are about $230 for the pair.

So it might be a good idea to buy an Epi LP Standard and have a luthier install a pair of Burstbuckers? I've played the Epi LP Standard. It has a nice slim neck.

So it might be a good idea to buy an Epi LP Standard and have a luthier install a pair of Burstbuckers? I've played the Epi LP Standard. It has a nice slim neck.

The Standard is a different guitar when you add up the physical differences and the hardware differences. Even if you were to put the USA Burstbuckers in the LP Standard still is measurably a different instrument. The biggest hurdle for the OP to get past is to determine if the D-shaped '59 style neck and 12" radius is comfortable to him. I typically find larger necks more comfrtable for longer periords of playing, where necks like a 60's slim taper causes my hand to fatigue sooner. But everyone's different, so it's best to try them out individually.

Personally, my take is if the OP finds the neck profile on the Bonamassa to his liking, it's the greater value.

Archived