Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 54 goldtop VOS....

RowdyMoon

Great guitars. They typically have really fat necks.

True...I tried the 56 and it does have the fatter neck and to be honest if I was going to play mostly R&R or country or mostly standard tunning I would probably go for the more slimmer 60's neck...I have a couple of guitars for that...however, that being said I am going for this one to be my main guitar...I play mostly old style electric blues ( elmore James, canned heat, etc etc) with allot of slide work ( open G's open D's as well as standard ) so the fatter neck with the wrap bridge appeals to me ...hehe ah heck, I guess we shall soon see.

None, they are great guitars.

My 56 had a large neck, but not huge.

2006newguitars009.jpg

It was a 2002 model. Great guitar. Eventually sold it and replaced it with this:

r4.jpg

2011 Wildwood R4, 8.41bs and a nice (not too big) neck.

Guest farnsbarns

I had a 56, loved it but the top started warping, then there were issues with the replacement they sent to the shop, then I played a 58 that the shop had, just out of interest, it was love at first riff so I ended up with that instead. I'm sure I was unlucky btw, I don't mean to imply there are problems in general. I love the p90 sound for blues. Here's a recording of mine soundcloud (every part played on it). I went for the 56 because I am anti-wrap-around but it's just a personal preference. Your gonna love it.

I had a 56, loved it but the top started warping, then there were issues with the replacement they sent to the shop, then I played a 58 that the shop had, just out of interest, it was love at first riff so I ended up with that instead. I'm sure I was unlucky btw, I don't mean to imply there are problems in general. I love the p90 sound for blues. Here's a recording of mine soundcloud (every part played on it). I went for the 56 because I am anti-wrap-around but it's just a personal preference. Your gonna love it.

Nice sound mate. [thumbup]

None, they are great guitars.

My 56 had a large neck, but not huge.

2006newguitars009.jpg

It was a 2002 model. Great guitar. Eventually sold it and replaced it with this:

r4.jpg

2011 Wildwood R4, 8.41bs and a nice (not too big) neck.

Sweet looking, how would you describe the color?...looks almost like greyish bronze on my monitor

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I've owned many vintage & new production Les Pauls, including a '60 sunburst. The best by a mile was a vintage '54 goldtop, foolishly sold about 20 years ago in a "thin the herd" purge. The reissues are great, get one.

Archived