Gibson Brands Forums

63 J-50 with plastic bridge

Joe B

I have a 63 Gibson J-45 that may need the plastic bridge replaced soon. I noticed that the center to center measurement from E to E is slightly narrower than other J-45s. I was thinking I would have to have my luthier measure and custom make and drill the new bridge pin holes according to the holes on the body. I have seen many "Gibson custom shop bridges" on Ebay etc, but am worried that those pin holes will be off. Any advice?

Standard pin spacing at the bridge on the J-45 has been 2 1/8" since day one, to the best of my knowledge. I can't imagine the plastic ones are consciously different, so it may just be a manufacturing variance. Worst case, I would have the luthier plug the holes in the top and bridgeplate when the old bridge is removed, and re-drill amd ream them when installing a new bridge to the standard Gibson spec. This is often part of the bridge replacement process just because the old pin holes and plate may have damage.

You should also be aware that this guitar may have a plywood bridgeplate, which as fairly common starting sometime in the mid-60's. Although it may just about double the cost of the bridge replacement, it's worth considering getting rid of a plywood plate if it is there, and going with a solid maple plate.

I recently replaced a late-60's rosewood adjustable bridge/saddle and plywood plate on a J-45, putting in a conventional bridge and maple plate, and there was a noticeable change in tone. The upper mids brightened considerably, and the guitar seemed to gain clarity across the entire range.

Archived