Gibson Brands Forums

es 330 with fuzzboxes?

MathieuTrépanier

Es 330 with fuzzboxes? How does it feel?

Probably pretty awesome, although I'm sure it has a lot to do with the pedal. A good pedal vs. a crummy pedal can yield decidedly different results, although it's all up to personal taste. With my 335, although not fully hollow, my old Big Muff pedal sounds awesome, not a ton of feedback unless it's waaaay cranked. I'm sure the feedback threshold on a 330 would be much lower, but I'm sure you can get it to work to your advantage. Also if feedback becomes a big problem and you're set on a using a fuzz, I've heard of people stuffing the body with cotton. I have never tried this, but I hear that it's a feedback dampener and that it doesn't affect the overall tone of the guitar too much. I've heard of guys having the hollowbodies stuffed for decades. That said Steve Howe played his 175 with Yes doing arenas for 40 years! So it can go either way. I think it's just a trial and error thing. Maybe someone else can chime in with some first hand experience, but it seems like not a whole lot of real "rockers" hang out in the ES section, sorry if I'm wrong on that...

I use a TubeScreamer and it sounds great...but I tried a Marshall BluesBreaker pedal and the feedback howled like a banshee. I imagine the same would apply to fuzz boxes - like the others said, some will work and some won't.

Good luck with it.

I use my 335 with a Lovepedal "Karl" (Fuzz) and a Tube Screamer 808 all the time. I know it's not a 330, but I would just imagine the drive might needing to be backed off a bit to avoid excessive feedback. But, it should sound pretty raunchy and happy.

Archived