Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic guitar kit

pfox14

be funny if it was ren

Sounds like a problem but... Up until several years ago Gibson had a wood sale every Friday. The employees could pay $5.00 for all the scrap wood they could stuff in their car. They included lots of parts in the sale like scrap neck blanks and that sort of thing. Montana gets very cold in the winter and lots of folks heat with wood.

They had so much trouble with people from out of town coming in and dumpster diving that they had to put a fence around it and lock it at night. They also installed lights and a camera.

I will say this... What goes into the dumpster is sawn up as to render it useless so anything this guy has is the result of something different.

Sounds like a problem but... Up until several years ago Gibson had a wood sale every Friday. The employees could pay $5.00 for all the scrap wood they could stuff in their car. They included lots of parts in the sale like scrap neck blanks and that sort of thing. Montana gets very cold in the winter and lots of folks heat with wood.

They had so much trouble with people from out of town coming in and dumpster diving that they had to put a fence around it and lock it at night. They also installed lights and a camera.

I will say this... What goes into the dumpster is sawn up as to render it useless so anything this guy has is the result of something different.

Sounds feasable! I suppose since the Feds put the "Kabash" on the rosewood supply, they have tightened up on their scraps and started laminating bridges with them, eh?

I REALLY don,t mean to be an *** on this subject....but it really is sad. [sad]

Well, he's probably in the middle of moving, so why not have a garage sale.

Ren is not moving.

Just a short note on the laminated bridges. Solid wood bridges have always been a problem. Next to coming lose from the top because of poor glue application the next most common failure of the bridge is the wood spliting because of the bridge pin holes drilled thru a straight line along the same grain line. When the bridge wood dries it has a very strong chance of splitting from bridge pin hole to bridge pin hole. Some companies drill their bridge pin holes in an arc to avoid this problem as the arc will have the holes drilled along different grain lines.

There is no problem of this happening with a laminated bridge. The difference in the grain patterns between the two pieces of wood will make the split a thing of the past. That and the glue between the laminations. Yes it does cost more to make a laminated bridge. Maybe not in materials but certainly in the extra time to do the lamination itself. To be perfectly honest with you I would prefer that all my bridges were laminated. Some of my guitars are starting to display the bridge cracking between the bridge pin holes even though I oil the bridges religiously.Most folks will oil their fretboards from time to time but totally ignore the bridge. The common fix for this is to fill in the cracks with glue and sawdust fron a same color wood. It works fine especially with Ebony. Gibson does not laminate Ebony so I guess we all need a bit of ebony dust from time to time.

I understand that this will change no ones mind. It is just offered as another way of looking at things. This glass is half full.

Let the discussion begin.

Gibson may have stumbled on to a good thing because of a problem that has occured.

Nice PR effort, hogeye! Yes, the lam-bridge will probably be stronger. I have never had a splitting problem with Gibson bridges, luckily. The Norlin-era Gibson acoustic tops were double-X braced to make them stronger and to avoid future warranty work. It wasn't necessarily a 'good thing',however.

This glass is 'half gone'..... [rolleyes]

Archived