Gibson Brands Forums

New pickup on the way for the '64 MM

Ryan H

Well, I've had my '64 Melody Maker D since last November, and I've been working with Wolfe Macleod at Wolfetone pickups to develop a replacement pickup that would not require any routing.

So now, after several months of back-and-forth via email, Facebook and phone, it'll be on it's way tomorrow.

I'm only replacing the bridge pickup, since I quite like the Neck pickup. The neck pickup reads 7.15K, and the bridge is only 7.27K, which is kind of underpowered relative to the neck.

So we've developed a modified P90. No cover, modified baseplate, and modified mounting tabs. Output is 8.49K, much more balanced. Set me back $120 including s/h.

-Ryan

P.S. I should also mention that I'm getting a new pickguard and transferring the current harness (less the bridge pickup) over to the new PG, which will be routed for the new pickup. I'm not cutting up a 48 year-old pickguard.

Whatever you do, keep all the original parts. I'm looking forward to pictures of the guitar. I think it's amazing how cheap the pickup is. I mean, this has taken a lot of time and has involved many conversations. As a result, they've produced a custom order pickup at such a low price. Sounds like a good company to me.

Whatever you do, keep all the original parts. I'm looking forward to pictures of the guitar. I think it's amazing how cheap the pickup is. I mean, this has taken a lot of time and has involved many conversations. As a result, they've produced a custom order pickup at such a low price. Sounds like a good company to me.

Yeah, Wolfe's a really cool guy to boot. He even turned on his shopcam so I could Watch my pickup being wound. He always triple-checked to make sure everything would work, and was extremely patient when the payment took a little longer than expected to get there. A real class act.

Not to mention the guy likes swords, knives, Doctor Who and racing expensive cars. What's not to like?

-Ryan

Archived