Gibson Brands Forums

value of a mid 50's L-50

glider

hey just curious as to what the current market value of a mid fifties L-50 is with an original 1950's DeArmand Rythymn King pickup would be. The guitar is probably a 8.5 of of 10.. the pickup mounts on the strings behind the bridge. i am considering trading it for a solid body gibson and want to be sure i am relatively accurate in my estimation

post-33615-011648400 1334662903_thumb.jpg

I think a fair estimate assuming it's in good condition is $1800-2000.

Although these numbers may be reasonable, they are a little optimistic. There are four recent L-50 "completed auctions" showing on an e-bay search, the selling prices were $700, $1200, $1300, and $2300.

Generally in an analysis such as this you throw out to top and bottom numbers (as being flukes), and average the rest. Of course the more data you have the better the outcome, but we only have four numbers to work with here. That leaves the average selling price of an L-50 as $1250. Even if you use all four number you get $1375.

This is mathematical data, not opinion.

The pickup is neither a "Rhythm King" (no such model) nor a "Rhythm Chief". It's an FHC, or "Guitar Mike".

Pet peeve time... Everybody and their brother are using the "Rhythm Chief" designation for various DeArmonds these days, no matter what model is being described. This error has spread almost everywhere now, via the internet.

The top of the DeArmond line was the model 1100, which had adjustable poles and was often gold-plated.

02.jpg

The model 1000 (the actual "Rhythm Chief") had no adjustable poles, and a red-painted front surface:

-26822304902599321.jpg

The FHC / Guitar Mike:

-62912606499989670.jpg

DeArmondcat.jpg

Note that it says "Rhythm Chief" under the Model 1000 heading (top center) and nowhere else.

The pickup is neither a "Rhythm King" (no such model) nor a "Rhythm Chief". It's an FHC, or "Guitar Mike".

Pet peeve time... Everybody and their brother are using the "Rhythm Chief" designation for various DeArmonds these days, no matter what model is being described. This error has spread almost everywhere now, via the internet.

The top of the DeArmond line was the model 1100, which had adjustable poles and was often gold-plated.

02.jpg

The model 1000 (the actual "Rhythm Chief") had no adjustable poles, and a red-painted front surface:

-26822304902599321.jpg

The FHC / Guitar Mike:

-62912606499989670.jpg

DeArmondcat.jpg

Note that it says "Rhythm Chief" under the Model 1000 heading (top center) and nowhere else.

errr...thanks for the correction. mine does say rhythm chief on the pickup...either way it works so nice

Archived