Gibson Brands Forums

Bonamassa LP neck question

RickinVirginia

I'm considering purchasing the Joe Bonamassa Epi, but I have one overriding concern. I've always played thin neck guitars, mostly Fender Stratocasters. However, I read that the Bonamassa has a thick neck which more than one reviewer has suggested will "appeal to guitarists with larger hands." Well, that's NOT me. So I'm wondering if the neck will be "too big" (whatever that means) of if I'll be able to get used to it over time. Of course, there is no dealer here in the D.C. area that has one in stock; they have to be ordered, so I can't check it out before I buy.

My question for those of you who own the Bonamassa Epi is - what other Epi or Gibson product could I try that has a similar neck and that my local Guitar Center or smaller, locally owned store might have in stock. I'm not a very experienced player, as you can probably tell, so maybe the neck issue really isn't an "issue," but I would certainly like to address my concerns before ordering the instrument.

Thank for your help and suggestions.

Rick

There's a few different types of necks I've seen on Epis.. The fattest one I've played is on a Faded SG. If they have one in your local shop, try it out, because it would be worst-case scenario neck size. An LP-100 has the middle-sized neck, what I consider average, and then there's the thin, flat necks that are called something completely different. Ultra III's have this style, and the Tribute Plus does too. I can't comment on any other guitars that have this style as I don't have any experience with any others. Hopefully this will help you find different styles to try and see what's comfortable. Happy Hunting!

Archived