Gibson Brands Forums

Need a bit of help on an EPI Dove

BSAKing

I just picked up a set of EPI's (Used) a Hummingbird near mint, and a Dove which although not beaten is not as pristine as the Hbird.

I can't find info on the EPI/Gibson site because I think it is too new a model. The serial is Dove/N 10102300422.

Update:

I am not sure what the N stands for, but if the rest decodes as per other models. Made in 2010, Oct, Indonesia (validated by sticker), 00422 - manufacturing number? Sound about right???

I also have an issue in that the strings 'bottom out' on the frets when I get up to around the 12th fret. The neck joint seems intact and fine and the relief on the neck from the 12th down seems ok, so I am suspecting a slight 'bulge' where the neck joins the body. Does that sound like something a fret leveling could address, or should I look for other issues first? (maybe it wasn't such a great deal?!) lol.

TIA, BSA

Ok - took a closer look at it with a straight edge and for some reason on both guitars the frets at the 13 and 14 were to varying degrees a tad high. I knocked them down with a file and then reshaped the frets. It seems fine now on both. Strange that it would be at the same location on both of them. It is just in the area where the neck is joined to the body. Perhaps it is shrinkage of wood or tightening of the joint with time? Or perhaps EPI just did not figure people would really use much above the 10th fret or so on an acoustic without a cutout for access to the higher register and didn't bother to dial them in.....

I'll wait for a bit and then I have also to do the nut on both of them. The strings are a bit too high at the first fret.

I'll let them become accustomed to the humidity in my house/area and then adjust the neck relief a tad.

See where I get to with them...

BSA

Your numbering and dating is correct. The N stands for natural finish. Concerning the neck at the 12th fret. You should make sure your guitars are humidified to 48 to 50% before making neck adjustments or fret fixes. They may be very dry from sitting somewhere and the neck and body can move back some when properly humidified. Place them in a room at that humidity level for at LEAST 3 days, 5 days to a week is better.Or add a guitar humidifier to the case. Even if this does not fix the 12th fret issue, your guitars should still be properly humidified before taking them to a guitar tech for adjustments. Because what he does to the guitar to fix it, can change negatively as humidity changes. Humidity is critical in the life of any and every guitar, particularly if it has a solid top. It makes a MAJOR difference in warped necks, deformed bellies, tone, and over all life of your instrument. Under estimate your guitars humidity needs, and your guitar will fall apart, literally! Good luck!

Archived