Gibson Brands Forums

1969 es355

Seven10Ashbury

Anyone have any ideas what kind of frets would work with a 1969 es 355? The ones on there now are too low to get a good grip on the strings for bending and playing in general. I just had them dressed but that did not help the problem. I'd like to put the saem frets that are used on my es 345 reissue. Any one have any ideas? I know Im screwing around wth the value of the guitar, but I don't as a rule sell my guitars.

Seven10Ashbury@aol.com

Betcha Gibson customer service would tell you the type of frets used on your re-issue ES-345.

If it's time to refret you ES-355, find a qualified repair guy to do the work - and they're many out there - and have it done (and maybe a setup?) so you can play it. Getting the fret wire isn't a problem. And the value of a '69 ES-355 wouldn't be affected by a well-done refret job.

BTW, does it have a walnut finish and a Bigsby?

What Slim said. When a guitar needs new frets, it needs new frets. This idea that refretting hurts the value of vintage guitars is wildly exaggerated. People are happy when they find a great guitar with original frets that are still viable, and that's one thing. Also, when people are given a choice between two similar guitars, one with original frets and one with a refret, the original frets may tilt the scale. But like I said... when a guitar needs new frets, it needs new frets. If it's necessary, and the job is done right, there's no reason to worry about affecting the value of the guitar.

I have been doing restoration and repair since 1969, and I would recommend asking to see some of your prospective refretter's previous fretwork. Regretting a bound neck is more difficult than an un-bound one, and I have seen lots of poor refrets.

What Slim said. When a guitar needs new frets, it needs new frets. This idea that refretting hurts the value of vintage guitars is wildly exaggerated. People are happy when they find a great guitar with original frets that are still viable, and that's one thing. Also, when people are given a choice between two similar guitars, one with original frets and one with a refret, the original frets may tilt the scale. But like I said... when a guitar needs new frets, it needs new frets. If it's necessary, and the job is done right, there's no reason to worry about affecting the value of the guitar.

It is worth mentioning that original frets in good shape is desirable, but if the originals are in need of replacing it doesn't do anything to really help the "value".

Archived