Gibson Brands Forums

2011 Les Paul Studio Electronics Question

winterland

Hello All -

It's been quite a while since I last posted here ... Mostly due to the fact that money is much tighter than a couple of years ago, so other than one trade I haven't gotten new gear in the last year and a half. However, good fortune found me [thumbup] recently and I was able to pick up a new 2011 LP Studio (factory second, although I can't find the mistake)for $150.00.

My only other Epiphone LP was a 100, which I did enjoy quite a bit, but I am very impressed with this Studio. Feels better in my hands, is fairly lightweight, and has a really sharp sound. The body and neck are great and as much as I prefer the lacquer finish look, it actually feels better without it. Definitely something I can see playing for several years.

So, can anyone tell me about the quality of the pickups and pots on this guitar ? I have checked around and get the generic 'alnico humbucker' description, but that's all. Are the pups in the Studio better than the lower priced LPs ? Is there a model name/number for them ? Same question for the pots.

I really like the sound, so I should probably just leave this topic alone for now and just play it as is, but that's not in my nature! If I can make it 'better' with new pups and/or pots I am certainly going to consider it.

Thanks in advance

You should have the classic 57 humbuckers in that model. The electronics should be good in the 2011. Play the guitar for a few months before deciding on new pickups. The tone will grow on you.

Congratulations on your new guitar. Enjoy it.

The pots would have the following values:

Volume: 500k Linear

Tone: 500k Audio (log)

Regarding the pickups: we no longer use the generic "Alnico V" nomenclature. Please see the specs for the Classic and Classic Plus pickups.

Alnico Classic

• Our “equivalent” name for a ’57 Classic

• Used for either neck or bridge

• Alnico-V magnet

Alnico Classic Plus

• Our “equivalent” name for a ’57 Classic Plus

• Slightly over-wound pickup used in the bridge in combination with the Alnico Classic in the neck

• Alnico-V magnet

I was able to pick up a new 2011 LP Studio (factory second, although I can't find the mistake)for $150.00.

So, can anyone tell me about the quality of the pickups and pots on this guitar ? I have checked around and get the generic 'alnico humbucker' description, but that's all. Are the pups in the Studio better than the lower priced LPs ? Is there a model name/number for them ? Same question for the pots.

Great price!

I have a bunch of Epi's, and have upgraded PU's in all of them. Big improvement in tone. Epi doesn't try to make PU's that compete with high quality ones. If you want more definition, depth, and clarity, you need to move up to Duncan, DiMarzio, Gibson, Rio Grande, Lollar, Fralin, etc. I get most of my PU's used, online, usually for around half price. Better PU's will do more to improve your tone than everything else put together. That's where to put your money. PAF's always seem to sound good in LP's, and many PU manufacturers make one or more PAF models.

I replace the pots only if they're scratchy. Pot value make more difference than the brand name. I use 250K's on most of my bridge PU's, and always use 500K's for the neck slot. That gives me a warmer bridge, which balances better with the neck PU. Then one amp EQ setting will work well for both PU's, not just one.

what's the difference b'w Alnico Classic & Alnico HOT Humbucker pickups

See post #3 above. The Plus has hotter output for the bridge position. It helps balance the two pickups output.

Archived