Gibson Brands Forums

Need help understanding ES-225 differences

set2

Hi all,

By way of introduction, I used to be a basement guitarist and big Gibson fan back in high school and college (I still have the Gibson logo T-shirt I designed and silk screened back then).

A couple decades later, I've come into possession of a Gibson ES-225. The tuning knobs were cracked. I removed (and saved) the tuning machines and replaced them with exact Klusons.

I am trying to keep this original but am confused. I have seen pictures of multiple different configurations and not sure which is the correct and original one.

This guitar has a single pickup. It has a straight tailpiece with a wooden bridge.

I've seen pictures of this style and also a long floating trapeze tailpiece. I've also seen pictures of a mid-length angled trapeze tailpiece.

If you do a google image search on ES-225 bridge like this

Google Images

You will see every combination:

single pickup - long trapeze tailpiece

single pickup - short trapeze tailpiece

single pickup - straight tailpiece with wooden

double pickup - long trapeze tailpiece

double pickup - short trapeze tailpiece

double pickup - straight tailpiece with wooden

I am thoroughly confused. Mine looks like this one shown here:

original.jpg

But, they say the tailpiece was changed.

I thought the ES-225T had a single P90 pickup and the ES-225TD had double P90 pickups.

I thought they ALL left the factory with the trapeze tailpiece but now I am confused.

I thought it was an aftermarket bridge but I think maybe this was the original. The only info I can find is that the ES-225T definitely had the long trapeze bridge.

Can anyone shed some light on all these different configurations?

Thanks

Yours has a replacement tailpiece and bridge. Original single p'up 225's had the early LP trap/bridge configuration.

I'd like to restore this, then, to its original condition.

Can you point me to an image or link where I cxan see what one of the originals look like?

There's a guy in England making replacement long trapezes for early Les Pauls...has to be the same trapeze on the 225. And this new one is compensated for better intonation.

You might e able to Google it or check out a Vintage Guiar mag and look for an ad.

Archived