Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton N by Gibson.....what's the story?

Hi, I'm new here but I found it whilst trying to find out a bit about my guitar, which (to my shame) I've owned about 15 years!! It's a Sheraton N, blond or natural finish.

Through this site, I've managed to deduce it was made at the Samick factory in Korea in 1994. The thing that has always puzzled me is the truss rod cover which very proudly says "Gibson". I haven't seen many of these around.....

I guess what I'm trying to find out is why, when it is very obviously an Epiphone, do the nice folk at Gibson decide to plonk their name on it too.... not that I'm complaining but I'd love to find out why. I'll bet there's one of you clever folk out there can help me get to the bottom of this, and thank you in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Mitch

post-43501-042509700 1335985181_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Gibson had this on the TRC on various models from late 80's until early 00's (I think that was the time period but I could be wrong).

I have a 1997 epi LP that has one, and a 1997 Jr. that has one also.

024-2-1.jpg

My 2004 Les Paul Custom Plus has the Gibson TRC. I have no idea why this was done. I guess the quality it good enough for Gibson to put their name on it or at least that is what they want you to think. Personally, I don't really care and never gave the TRC a second thought. The guitar plays great with or without it.

My '99 natural Sheraton, also from Samick, has one...

You already have Epiphone on the headstock...

& the Epi 'E' on the PG...

So, IMO, it was simply good marketing on what would otherwise be a blank space [thumbup]

Hi, I'm new here but I found it whilst trying to find out a bit about my guitar, which (to my shame) I've owned about 15 years!! It's a Sheraton N, blond or natural finish.

Through this site, I've managed to deduce it was made at the Samick factory in Korea in 1994. The thing that has always puzzled me is the truss rod cover which very proudly says "Gibson". I haven't seen many of these around.....

I guess what I'm trying to find out is why, when it is very obviously an Epiphone, do the nice folk at Gibson decide to plonk their name on it too.... not that I'm complaining but I'd love to find out why. I'll bet there's one of you clever folk out there can help me get to the bottom of this, and thank you in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Mitch

I was wondering the same, but I think Sheratons from 90s and early 00 are amazing instruments. I have two Epiphone Sheratons that have Gibson in their TRC. The first image is my Sheraton II with Gibson 57 Classic Pickups!!! Just enjoy your beautiful guitar. Best regards from México.

post-37750-009962700 1336208939_thumb.jpg

post-37750-031451900 1336208989_thumb.jpg

Archived