Gibson Brands Forums

refinishing and binding

harmonicchaos

If I'm not mistaken' date=' at the factory the body binding rout is done before the neck is glued on. I would think it would be very difficult to make that cut on the upper body with the neck installed.[/quote']

The thing with that is you can take it as close as possible with a router and the work the rest by hand with a small chisel.

And as far as finish goes, my theory on that, is less is better.

any thing that dampens the natural vibration of the wood kills tone to some degree however minute.

the more open unfinished wood the better tonality the wood will produce.

Oil it with raw linseed oil and leave it alone.

those scratches and dents, its called character.

just yesterday i was in gc and i decided to try out some guitars. i have a vm studio and have always wondered if i would have liked a more expensive model better. i tried out a standard les paul bonde beauty and i liked my vm better. i thought the amount of paint was overkill. it looked nice and sounded good but i didn't like how it felt. it also felt much heavier and the biggest think was that the neck was very sticky. it just reverberate like my vm did. as some of you know i have been thinking about refinishing my lp but now i don't think i will (unless it's std faded amount of nitro). it might just be that im not used to that kind of guitar.

now i'm even more upset that they're discontinuing the std faded because other than my lp it has got to be about THE best lp imo.

i now appreciate my faded finish (even with the unfortunate dents) more than the heavily finished guitars! i still like them but the fadeds are nice and worth the price.

i am however still going to consider the binding. it's between cream, rosewood and flamed maple.

Archived