Gibson Brands Forums

Changing tuners on a dot

Bigmandot

Nope. I put a set of Grover Vintage Green Keystones on mine, just for aesthetics. I did have to drill 12 small hole in the back of the headstock for the screws to hole the tuner in place. The tuner on the back of the headstock doesn't quite cover the entire hole from the stock Grover, but about 85% is covered. If you look close on the pic you can see a little bit of the hole on the bottom of the tuner. Not a biggie for me. If you do it, place a piece of masking tape on the guitar where you are going to drill so the finish doesn't chip. I also put tape on my bit so I didn't drill too deep.

On a side note, you can get tulip buttons for the Grovers if you want. Personally, I don't like the looks and feel of the kidney shaped buttons. The keystone just look and fell right to me. Allparts.com sells them. They don't list them on their website, but it you call them you can get a set. It has been a while since I got mine, but they were $15 plus shipping.

This isn't a Dot, but a G-400 of mine. I didn't take pics of the back of the headstock on my Dot, but it has the same results.

SG002-1.jpg

Archived