Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Question

eaglewolf

I posted this in another foum, but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I had the priveledge to own a 50th Anniversary '59 ES-335, but regrettably I made the decision to sell it. Had I known at the time what I had I would not have done that - I just thought I had a great playing ES - but I guess now that is just water under the bridge.

I've been looking at ES-335's currently in production, and it seems like all of them have the 60's profile neck. Has Gibson discontinued the 50's profile neck for this guitar?

Maybe the 60's neck profile is the preferred neck, but I really liked the '59 as it just felt better in my rather large hands. Nothing wrong with the 60's neck, and maybe that is now the only choice if I buy new, but I prefer the 50's profile and was hoping to find one.

I haven't gotten to my Gibson dealer yet to ask, but thought maybe someone here would have a good answer to the question. Any input would be appreciated.

David

P.S. I actually joined the site a few years back, but never posted as all my Gibsons were either stolen or sold when times got tough. I'm getting close to buying back the R9 I sold to a friend and am interested in an ES-335 again.

I posted this in another foum, but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I had the priveledge to own a 50th Anniversary '59 ES-335, but regrettably I made the decision to sell it. Had I known at the time what I had I would not have done that - I just thought I had a great playing ES - but I guess now that is just water under the bridge.

I've been looking at ES-335's currently in production, and it seems like all of them have the 60's profile neck. Has Gibson discontinued the 50's profile neck for this guitar?

Maybe the 60's neck profile is the preferred neck, but I really liked the '59 as it just felt better in my rather large hands. Nothing wrong with the 60's neck, and maybe that is now the only choice if I buy new, but I prefer the 50's profile and was hoping to find one.

I haven't gotten to my Gibson dealer yet to ask, but thought maybe someone here would have a good answer to the question. Any input would be appreciated.

David

P.S. I actually joined the site a few years back, but never posted as all my Gibsons were either stolen or sold when times got tough. I'm getting close to buying back the R9 I sold to a friend and am interested in an ES-335 again.

Hi,

There is a "FAT NECK" ES 335. I'm not recemending this particular dealer by this link http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESDPAEBNH

Sheraton

Thanks for the response. Someone in another forum also mentioned that the historic '59 was still available, which if true is good news to me. I understand that the Fat Neck ES-355 is actually different than the historic '59 neck, but if they both play well for me it really doesn't matter.

Thanks again for the input.

David

Thanks for the response. Someone in another forum also mentioned that the historic '59 was still available, which if true is good news to me. I understand that the Fat Neck ES-355 is actually different than the historic '59 neck, but if they both play well for me it really doesn't matter.

Thanks again for the input.

David

I think the only Historic currently in production is the '63 block neck, but there are still a fair number of "new" '59 Historics around at various dealers. It has really gotten confusing with all the "re-issues". I think the '63 Block Historic and the '59 Historic are the only Nashville-finished ES 335's now. The only way you can identify them on the Gibson website is by the price, which at close to $7K is dramatically more than their Memphis counterparts.

They are easy to identify in the flesh, as the label says "Nashville" rather than "Memphis".

Guitarist magazine December 2008 has a great article on the a 1961, 2008'58 and a current Custom

Its a great read for all current, past and future 335 buyers.

I am sure you can read it online

Archived