Gibson Brands Forums

Dating a pickup year to year.

Quick question for everyone. I'm very, very new to the idea of renovating a guitar. I have a lot to learn, and apologize if this topic has been covered before...

On the local craigslist, there is a '71 SG for sale that does not have the original pickups in it. The owner does not have them anymore, so to restore it to it's original condition I would need to purchase them somewhere else and install them. My question being...are pickups serial numbers coded to the year? For instance, can you tell the difference between two pickups made in different years? Meaning, can a 1971 p-90 be distinguished from a 1980 p-90 for example? Just curious. Thank you in advance everyone.

I don't think so. Unlike amps and guitars where you have serial numbers and/or pot and transformer codes to work with, you pretty much have nothing to go on with pickups. If you are looking for authenticity - ie the pickup that shipped originally in that guitar (my personal opinion is that you should get a set that just sounds good, but that's me) then I would guess that any set of pups from that era would be correct in your SG.

I don't think so. Unlike amps and guitars where you have serial numbers and/or pot and transformer codes to work with, you pretty much have nothing to go on with pickups. If you are looking for authenticity - ie the pickup that shipped originally in that guitar (my personal opinion is that you should get a set that just sounds good, but that's me) then I would guess that any set of pups from that era would be correct in your SG.

I assumed that was the answer, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks surf!

You can find period correct P-90s........If you want vintage sounding pickups that are just as good,

look into JonseyBlues, Lollar, Wolftone, Fuelie, Scatterbrain, or our own Searcy for replacement pickups........

Archived