Gibson Brands Forums

gibson classical guitars

mattmay08

i have a 1964 gibson c1s and i am trying to learn about the gibson classical guitars. I bought it for 300 dollors and i think it is a great buy iv played it next to brand new high end gibsons and other vintage gibsons. its not near as load as most gibsons but, in no way am i lying when i say its tone quality can stand up next to a sj200 rosewood or a '65 humming bird and a really high end martin. i was just hoping that someone could tell me about gibson classical guitars and why thay stoped and hopefully get people intersted so that maybe gibson may make a special addition classical guitar. I would really love to have one with higher quality woods and bracings.

My first "real" guitar was a Gibson C-0 classical. It indeed was overbuilt in that it was as strong as a Mack truck which probably led to its tone not being the greatest but really alright. They made several varieties of classical guitar but they weren't Gibson's strong point. I replaced it with my Gibson F-25 which is a steel string with the dimensions of a classical which made the change over quite easy.

Archived