Gibson Brands Forums

Why was the ES137 Custom discontinued?

JGallagher

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere here - anyone know why they discontinued this model?

I recently picked up mine (see http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/87642-new-member/ for pics) but it was quite a struggle finding a place that could get them.

The 137 Classics are still around (I love the blue ones) but to me the headstock appears very plain and I don't know, amateur?! Looks out of place with the rest of the guitar somehow.

It may have had a limited production run, being in a relatively niche market...

IMO will return at some point as the ES 137 has become a well-loved success in both guises...

The Custom is the deluxe model of the two and comes in at a fair premium price wise

The Classic is great VFM and the Les Paul-esque P/U's sit well and broaden the tone palette somewhat

It goes without saying...both have looks to die for... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

They don't sell as many. Gibson is not interested in offering variety, unless it's a variety within one overly popular model such as the Les Paul or ES 33_. They double down on the lead seller - other models are an afterthought.

In some cases, they don't build something that is well stocked at the dealers: if the dealers have plenty that aren't selling, building more causes problems.

In other cases, they stop building one model because they come up with something else to replace it, that they think will sell better, OR is a "cooler" guitar for the current times.

If there is a model you have think you want that you have heard they aren't building, it might be a good idea to check dealer shelves, or check the catalog for other options that you might like even more.

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I read this I did not know that it was discontinued. I bought mine in 03, maybe I have some insight on its demise.

I like mine OK, but it's not nearly as well done as my ES-345. I think that Gibson should have spent a bit more time with the 137 custom as every one I've played is very similar. Poor action even after a decent setup, and lackluster sound. Not bad but not what I came to expect from their ES series.

I know the sound issue is not related to the varitone because I have two other guitars (A Blueshawk and 345) with it that do not sound as, well... plain.

I figure to someday change out the pups to help the sound issue.

• 6 months later...

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere here - anyone know why they discontinued this model?

I recently picked up mine... but it was quite a struggle...

The 137 Classics are still around...

Don't know exactly why, but high purchase price and low sales are my guess. Even the Classic 137 is more than the Les Paul Standard, and th esolid body LP Custom is way more popular... I have a ES-137 Classic in lightburst, a rare (believed to be custom shop) finish for this guitar. I have had a bunch o Gibsons and I really like how this guitar sounds & looks.

Archived