Gibson Brands Forums

G Moore BB3 or 57 classic

JCcares

Just got a Trad pro with 57 classic on neck & BB3 on bridge.Reading a lot of negative comments on the BB3 I almost decided to swap the bridge pup for a 57 classic.But I saw this video on Garry Moore,one of my favorite guitarist & found he used a BB3 on the bridge too to get that powerful,awesome sound.Is there anything special in the BB3 he uses ? If not I could still hang on to the stock BB3 & have the best of both worlds with more variety.I was thinking if the BB3 sounded too airy,what if I roll off some treble on the tone knob ? Besides if I want to sound more vintage i could solo with the 57 classic on the neck & use a treble boost EQ right after the guitar to make it sound like a bridge pup.What is your opinion? has anyone tried soloing with a 57 classic on neck?

Yeah, I have a LP with a 57 and 57+ in the bridge.....I solo using both pickups........

Perhaps try a 57+ in the bridge.........What's your full rig ???

Yeah, I have a LP with a 57 and 57+ in the bridge.....I solo using both pickups........

Perhaps try a 57+ in the bridge.........What's your full rig ???

The plus has no 4 cond coil split options.I use all l6 gear for amp/fx.

The plus has no 4 cond coil split options.I use all l6 gear for amp/fx.

Line 6 gear, and Gary Moore tone ???? Hmmmm.......I wish you well in your quest.........

Gibby 57 and 57+ pickups do well for me doing Gary Moore stuff note per note and tone wise............

The BB3 and 57+ are wound about the same........

Line 6 gear, and Gary Moore tone ???? Hmmmm.......I wish you well in your quest.........

Gibby 57 and 57+ pickups do well for me doing Gary Moore stuff note per note and tone wise............

The BB3 and 57+ are wound about the same........

I use guitar rig & Amplitude for recordings but found L6 making the best amp models next to axfx from what I've seen.L6 valve amps are pretty good too although the old stack amps are gold by itself.

The post was more to find if I could compensate the tone of a 57 classic on the neck instead of bridge by using external EQs for the neck 57, as i feel it may not make much of a difference & I can still hang on to the BB3 on the bridge position giving me a greater variety of options.

I don't expect you will have much success EQ'ing a neck position pup to mimmic the sound of a bridge pup. The position has too much to do with the reaction and the tone. But you may be barking up the wrong tree.

You would have much better success using the volume and tone controls of the bridge pup. One should not be afraid to use them...that's what they are meant for. There is no loss of 'tone' doing so, it is a matter of IF the tone that comes out when you adjust is the tone you are looking for.

I am a little confused as to the question or the dilema. It seems that you LIKE the BB3 in the bridge, and if that is the case, there is really no reason to thing you need to change it. But if it SEEMS you would prefer the 57 classic because of what you hear fron the one you have in the neck, then why not put in one of those?

I don't expect you will have much success EQ'ing a neck position pup to mimmic the sound of a bridge pup. The position has too much to do with the reaction and the tone. But you may be barking up the wrong tree.

You would have much better success using the volume and tone controls of the bridge pup. One should not be afraid to use them...that's what they are meant for. There is no loss of 'tone' doing so, it is a matter of IF the tone that comes out when you adjust is the tone you are looking for.

I am a little confused as to the question or the dilema. It seems that you LIKE the BB3 in the bridge, and if that is the case, there is really no reason to thing you need to change it. But if it SEEMS you would prefer the 57 classic because of what you hear fron the one you have in the neck, then why not put in one of those?

Thanks for the reply.Dilemaa is the right word.I love Garrys tone & love the classic tone too!But all the -ve stuff said about the Bb3 makes me wonder why Garry chose it!My 1st Lp so that's why all this speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Trad Pro with the same pickups. I've found that the BB3 sounds really good for the Still Got the Blues tone. Granted, I'm playing through a Fender amp, but still not bad.

I roll back on the tone to about 7 or 8 for some songs. Takes the edge off a little. Sets for a good tone on Walking By Myself. I'm sure if I was playing through a Marshall, it would be different.

Archived